Thread: Cards "Aggressive Suitor" For Holliday

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Cards "Aggressive Suitor" For Holliday

According to the St. Louis Post Dispatch, the Cardinals have talked to the Rockies about Matt Holliday.
    St. Louis already has an outfield logjam and is said to be shopping Rick Ankiel or Ryan Ludwick, so going after Holliday seems somewhat odd. However, the newspaper reports that "the Cardinals have emerged as one of, if not the most aggressive suitor" for Holliday and speculates that they may offer up Ludwick in the package for him.
    Holliday and Pujols in the same lineup would be better than Ortiz and Manny as a 3-4 combo in a lineup. The Cards would have the money to retain Holliday which makes this rumor make a little sense. Ludwick or Ankiel would be worth trading for Holliday but where they come up short is in the pitching department. The Rockies want pitching as well as a replacement for Holliday in the OF. The Cards will have to get creative to get Holliday and if they succeed, the Cards will still have to get a top of the rotation starter and a middle IFer to compete in the Central. Maybe the Rockies can throw Barmes in the deal to get even more from the Cards.

MLB ERA

Re: Cards "Aggressive Suitor" For Holliday

I guess the Ankiel or Ludwick talks with Atlanta for Johnson or Escobar are on hold until the Padres decide what to do with Peavy.

Now this is an interesting rumor, because it isn't the first time the Cardinals have been interested in Holliday. I know LaRussa has been wanting antoher big bat to hit behind Pujols. I guess the big question is will Holliday hit outside of Coors like he does now? His splits seem to suggest that he won't. Another big question is whether Ludwick is the real deal or just a one year wonder. It sounds like Ludwick is at the center of trade discussion for Holliday. Ludwick is a lot cheaper, but Holliday has a much better track record, even if it is in Coors. I'm torn on this, but I'm leaning towards do whatever it takes to get Holliday as long as Adam Wainwright and Chris Perez don't even enter the discussions.

MLB ERA

The Outfield is the Cardinals strength, so adding Matt Holliday would require the Cardinals to trade at least 1 or 2 outfielders. This is how the Cards look in the Outfield now.

Skip Schumaker CF/LF
    Rick Ankiel CF/RF
    Ryan Ludwick RF
    Chris Duncan LF
    Colby Rasmus CF

If healthy (Duncan) and ready (Rasmus) the Cardinals currently have have 5 potential starting outfielders. Throw a couple of backups in there, and Outfield isn't a weakness for the Cards. What the Cards have a weakness in is antoher big bat to hit behind Pujols. Holliday would fit the bill, and allow the Cards to trade another outfielder to fill other holes.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards GM John Mozeliak said talks with the Rockies regarding Matt Holliday are dead.
    Mozeliak admitted that serious discussions took place, but he said all conversations have ceased and "nothing is imminent. That one’s not happening — at all." FOXSports.com reported that the two teams had discussed a deal that would have sent Ryan Ludwick, Skip Schumaker and Mitchell Boggs to Colorado for Holliday.
    Cards can only hope that Ludwick and Schumaker can duplicate their '08 seasons. I was looking forward to a Pujols Holliday combo Cards now need to focus on getting middle infield help.

MLB ERA

Colorado probably mentioned the name Wainwright.

Now lets see if the Brewers are interested in trading JJ Hardy.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Within the division? Not bloody likely.

MLB ERA

yeah, but you never know. lol I never understood why teams won't trade within their division. If the trade is good for you, then why does it matter if they are in your division?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The trade might be better for the other team. The Brewers and Cards aren't exactly allies in the baseball world. I hope the Cards get someone like Orlando Hudson.