Thread: Wainwright to start on Friday

MLB ERA

Pitching Wainwright to start on Friday

Manager Tony La Russa today finally answered the burning question of what to do with righthander Adam Wainwright.

La Russa said Wainwright, who has had a sprained middle finger on his right hand, will start Friday night here against the Atlanta Braves.

Wainwright, who had lobbied La Russa to return to the rotation rather than coming back as a reliever, will be making his first appearance in the majors since he got hurt on June 7 at Houston.

La Russa said that righthander Joel Pineiro, who was to have started Friday, will back up Wainwright, who is targeted to go as high as 80 pitches.

"(Wainwright) feels like he’s 100 percent and ready to go," La Russa said.
    It looks like the question has been answered. Wainwright is going back into the rotation. I think this is a good move. He is a starter, and we need him in the rotation.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Wainwright to start on Friday

I don't know. I think they need him more in relief.

MLB ERA

Chris Perez has been doing a good job as the closer. Oh wait...we're not allowed to call him the closer. He is the "9th inning man".

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I will take Wainwright over a rookie closer especially when Wainwright has a ring for closing.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    I will take Wainwright over a rookie closer especially when Wainwright has a ring for closing.
    I would too, but I would take a great starter over a great closer anyday. Wainwright is our best starer besides Carpenter.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No doubt about Wainwright being a #2. Either way the Cards need him back. Those 28 blown saves is what makes me think about Wainwright closing. Hopefully down the stretch Perez can hold up and Carpenter returns.