Thread: Evaluating the Glaus trade

MLB ERA

Player Evaluating the Glaus trade

Well... the season is halfway over, so let's see how this trade has worked out so far.

Prior to the season, Scott Rolen demanded a trade, because he had problems with the Cardinals manager. Despite a long injury history and big contract, the Cardinals found a taker for this Gold Glove third baseman, the Toronto Blue Jays. Scott Rolen was traded for another third baseman with a similar contract, Troy Glaus. Glaus had a rough start to the season, but has seemed to have found his groove as of late. Here are the stats for both players as of 7/19/08.

Code:
                  G  AB  R  H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  TB  BB  SO  SB  CS  OBP  SLG  AVG
    Troy Glaus    96 341 46 96 24   1  17   61  173 53  61   0   1 .381 .507 .282 
    Scott Rolen   71 258 30 68 20   2   6   28  110 28  47   5   0 .355 .426 .264
    I always thought this was a good trade since Rolen never seemed to be able to come back from his shoulder injury. A lot of Cardinal fans were skeptical since Rolen is such a great defender. So far the bat just isn't there. So far, this trade has been a great one for the Cardinals.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Evaluating the Glaus trade

Rolen was constantly hurt and did not make a clubhouse happy. Glaus was hurt too so at the time this trade looked like injured shit for injured shit. Glaus has bounced back after a slow start in April and is providing the protection Albert needs. While Rolen isn't hitting the ball in Toronto, he is still playing great defense. Plus this is his first year in the AL so his bat will come around.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    While Rolen isn't hitting the ball in Toronto, he is still playing great defense. Plus this is his first year in the AL so his bat will come around.

I seriously doubt that. Rolen and Glaus had two different types of injuries. Rolen's was his shoulder, and he hasn't had the power that he once had since the injury. I doubt his bat will come around. He will continue to dazzlewith the glove, I have no doubt of that. Although, he hasn't been thesame player offensively for awhile, and may never be again.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rolen was never really a power guy. I can see him getting to his usual 25 homers once he gets his bat speed back. This is his first year back from surgery and facing a different league on top of that. His OBP is still good. He will come around.

MLB ERA

Rolen was never really a power guy. I can see him getting to his usual 25 homers once he gets his bat speed back. This is his first year back from surgery and facing a different league on top of that. His OBP is still good. He will come around.
    Considering he hasn't hit 25 homers since his 34 home run season in 2004, then the Blue Jays should be extremely happy (and shocked) if that happens. Rolen's shoulder injury was in 2005, but I guess this is the year he rebounds...right?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Not this year but next year, yes. He will be getting back to normal in the second half. I love how you conveniently skipped over the 22 he hit in 2006.

MLB ERA

Not this year but next year, yes. He will be getting back to normal in the second half. I love how you conveniently skipped over the 22 he hit in 2006.
    I didn't skip it. You said 25 homers, and I just pointed out he hasn't hit that many since 2004. If you said 22, I would have included it. since you said 25, it wasn't relevent.

next year? can i hold you to that bro?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

22 is ****ing three homers shy of 25! Rolen averages 27 a year. Point is he can still hit when healthy and he is getting more and more healthy with each passing day. Next year when he is used to AL pitching and healthy, you can hold it to me because I will be right.