Thread: What about the deadline?

MLB ERA

Random What about the deadline?

The reports that I've read are that the Cardinals are going to stand pat and not make any major trades with the deadline approaching. There has been a lot of speculation that they could make a trade for a big bat like Matt Holliday. I just don't see that as a big need for the Cards this year. The Cardinals havea surplus of young outfielders, and I'd rather see them let the young guys play. I'd rather see them bring up Colby Rasmus, if he would get playing time, than trade for a player like Holliday.

As for pitching, the rotation has been hurt by injuries all season long, and the bullpen is a mess. Wainwright and Carpenter are expected back soon, and Mitchell Boggs did a fine job when he was called upon, so I don't see any reason to trade for a starter. As for the bullpen, it's been a mess all season, but Randy Flores is coming back to give the Cards another lefty. I wouldn't mind seeing another reliever coming to St. Louis, but not if the price is too hefty. The Cardinals have some good young prospects now, and the price for a guy like Fuentes might be too steep. Good relievers are hard to find, and I don't think the Cardinals need is big enough to give up the future for.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: What about the deadline?

The Cards need bullpen help and bullpen help only! A SS would e nice but not as important as bullpen depth. Huston Street and Brian Fuentes are on the market and the Cards have a stud prospect catcher that both teams could want. Getting someone like Holliday is out of the realm of possibility right now. Street could come in and close right away and make a huge impact.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Another poor outing from Franklin tonight shining light on the problems in the pen. Cards really need to go after Fuentes and Street hard and fast. Can't afford to let these guys go to other teams. Cards have some good looking prospects to offer both teams.

MLB ERA

Fuentes and Street are very appealing. Especially Street, but what type of prospects will it take ot get them? That is the question.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

It would take less to get Fuentes. Cards NEED this though. Marte from the Pirates, Mahay from the Royals and possibly Weathers from the Reds could be had too.

MLB ERA

No way on weathers.

MLB ERA

the pirates like ot give away players, so marte may be a possability. oh wait, that's only the cubs that get pirates for nothing. lol

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah but the Pirates fired their GM and have a new one. No more special favors for the Cubs.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

The Cardinals' pursuit of a lefthanded reliever to fortify their bullpen has intensified as the club has expressed interest in Baltimore closer George Sherrill, sources said. Sherrill, an All-Star who has 29 saves and a 3.89 ERA for the Orioles, has drawn increased attention from several teams, including the Milwaukee Brewers. The Cardinals have declined to discuss specific candidates. They have said lefthanded relief is one area they are looking to improve before the non-waiver trade deadline. Another possibility is Texas lefty reliever Eddie Guardado. The Rangers have interest in Class AA starter Jess Todd.
    Forget Guardado! Sherrill would be interesting to see. He has done very well and could learn something from Izzy if he is willing to teach.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards blow another game tonight. How much more will it take for the cards to make a move?? DBacks just got Jon Rauch who was one of the under the radar type guys that the Cards should have chasing. Cards pen is keeping them from climbing in the Central.