Thread: Perez for closer

MLB ERA

Perez for closer

I was exctied to hear reports on Saturday morning that LaRussa would be willing to use Chris Perez as the closer if he was needed on Sat night. Perez is our future closer, and should be given that chance now despite his inexperience. With a 4-0 lead over the Dodgers in the 9th inning on Sat night, Perez didn't disapoint anybody except the Dodgers hitters. Perez struck out 3 out of the 4 batters that he faces in the 9th inning. The Cardinals need a closer, Franklin and Springer are not the answers. Izzy... well I think he is done. Regardless, Izzy won't be back next year anyways. Perez is our future closer, and the Cards need need him now.

Brad Penny is a believer:

"I don't know if he is the closer, but he should be," Penny said. "He kept his slider down. He executed."

Closed
    AAA ERA

Re: Perez for closer

Good to see the Cards are moving towards their future. Izzy had a great career with them , but he is quickly losing it and his role needed to be changed.

MLB ERA

yep, Izzy is a part of the old St. Louis Cardinals. Edmonds, Rolen, Morris, and everyone else except Pujols are gone. They have been replaced by Ankiel, Schumaker, Ludwick, Wainwright, and others. The Cardinals are a completely different team now, but they are still a first place team (tied with the Cubs as of today). It's time to let a guy like Perez start taking over the role that he will hopefully have a lot of success in for the Cardinals.

Closed
    AAA ERA

The Cards have the making of a great team for a long time coming.

MLB ERA

LOS ANGELES -- Fans and even opponents are buzzing about Cardinals rookie Chris Perez, but manager Tony La Russa intends to exercise patience with the hard-throwing right-hander.
    La Russa is happy to use Perez in high-leverage situations, and when Ryan Franklin is unavailable, he'll even consider giving Perez save opportunities. But as far as the manager is concerned, while Jason Isringhausen is out, Franklin is the closer any time he's available.

"Chris Perez is not ready to close on a daily basis," La Russa said. "That would not be good for him and it would not be good for us. He needs to grow into his responsibilities here. I don't even worry about how that sounds, because clearly from the way he's being used, there's a confidence factor there."

The Cardinals used Perez with a one-run lead in the eighth on Saturday night, and he dismissed the Dodgers' Nos. 3 and 4 hitters. He pitched with a four-run lead in the ninth, and would have pitched in a save situation, since Franklin was considered off-limits.
    Apparently, LaRussa won't be using Perez as the closer just yet. I can understand not wanting to rush our #2 prospect, but not every young pitcher is like Rick Ankiel. Chris Perez may be able to handle the pressure, and Ryan Franklin is not the answer.