Thread: M.v.p.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cardinals M.v.p.

If the Cards pull off this win, watch Sportscenter and you will see why Pujols is the best player in the game and the MVP so far this season. Utley has been nice but Pujols is clutch! One of the best I've ever seen!! He also extended his streak of reaching base safely in every game.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Re: M.v.p.

2B should have thrown home. If Pujols stayed at 3rd, they still have a chance for the double play.
    -Chris
    Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No way he throws home in that situation. It was just a great base running play by Pujols.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Why would he not throw home? There's one out, game would be tied, runners on the corners, you play for the double play.

I didn't see how far Pujols was around third when the play was made at first, so maybe the 2B though he was too far aroudnd 3rd to even have a chance for a play at the plate.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

You do not give up outs and give base runners in a tie ballgame in the 9th. Pujols was stealing third and 9 times out of 10 the runner holds at third. Pujols saw the play and made a late decision. He stutter-stepped around third and was barely safe. You cannot assume the double play. Have to get outs.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

In the 8th I can see that, but I thought it happened in the 9th. If it was in the 8th, I agree with you, get the out because you'll have chances in the 8th and 9th to score. But if it happened in the 9th, you can't give up the game winning run. Correct, you can't assume the double play. But I just don't see giving up the lead in the 9th for an out.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

If he threw home, he wouldn't be playing tomorrow or for a long time. He made the right play getting the out at first. It was the 9th and you cannot give up outs that late. He throws home, runners on the corners with one out and Glaus just needs a fly ball to put them ahead. Glaus gets a base hit, a rally starts. Have to get the out in that situation especially when you have the last ab bat. The 9th is a lot more crucial than the 8th! The ball was hit towards the first base side leading him to first and the only out. Pujols read that and made a ballsy move that barely paid off. If he throws home and no out is made which none would have, he is sitting his ass on the bench for a long time.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ryan came in for Glaus earlier, so Glaus wouldn't have had the at-bat anyway. I agree with you that the 9th is more crucial than the 8th. Pujols is a gamer, no doubt.
    -Chris

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I now remember those socks!

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by henks View Post
    Why would he not throw home? There's one out, game would be tied, runners on the corners, you play for the double play.

I didn't see how far Pujols was around third when the play was made at first, so maybe the 2B though he was too far aroudnd 3rd to even have a chance for a play at the plate.

I don't know how far around 3rd he was, because the cameras were focused on the play. Although, the 2B would have had plenty of time to get him at home if he had made the throw. The First baseman threw home and just missed Pujols. It was a close play at home, but Pujols was called safe.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

He was to 3rd when Ankiel hit the ball. He was running on the pitch. the infielders were yelling HOME.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He was running on the play but wasn't at third yet when Ankiel made contact. If he would have thrown home, there would have been no out putting runners at first and third. What if Ryan hits a three run homer? Still think he throws home. IFers were yelling home after Herrerra made the throw and were most likely yelling at Helton. The replay shows Hererra coming in to get the ball making it even more difficult to throw home. Rockies has the last bat.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by pack04000 View Post
    He was to 3rd when Ankiel hit the ball. He was running on the pitch. the infielders were yelling HOME.
    nice to see you here bro. make sure you record these posts in the "sponsor" thread in the CSSL forum.