Thread: Troy Percival!

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Troy Percival!

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Cardinals announced today that they have agreed to terms with right-handed reliever Troy Percival on a minor league contract. The veteran closer will report to Triple-A Memphis where he will continue his attempt at a comeback.
    Percival, 37, spent most of his career with the Anaheim Angels before signing with the Detroit Tigers in 2005 as a free agent. He suffered an injury to his right forearm in July of 2005 and, after attempting to return for the 2006 season, retired early this year. He threw out the ceremonial first pitch on April 2 at the Angels season opener. He was working as a special assignment pitching instructor for Anaheim until asking for a release from his coaching contract on May 23 so he could attempt a comeback.

Drafted in 1990 by the California Angels as a catcher, he was converted to a pitcher and made his Major League Debut on April 26, 1995. He became the regular closer for the Angels the following year and has compiled a 29-38 record with a 2.99 ERA in 586.2 career innings. He holds 324 saves, which ranks 12th on the All-Time Major League saves list and ranks 5th among active Major Leaguers. He collected a career-high 42 saves in 1998 and enjoyed his best season in 2002 with a 4-1 record, 40 saves, 68 strikeouts and just a 1.92 ERA. A four-time All-Star (1996, 1998, 1999, 2001) he went nine-straight seasons with 20 or more saves from 1996-2004, eight of those years with 30+ saves. Troy was a member of the Angels' World Championship team in 2002 in which he collected seven saves and a 2.79 ERA over the course of the postseason.
    mwahahaha...Cardinals win the NL Central
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Troy Percival!

I wish Troy all the luck!!!

MLB ERA

Re: Troy Percival!

I wish him luck as well. Good pitcher back in the 90's.
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Oh man. This sucks for me. Good luck to Percival though. UGH

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers Re: Troy Percival!

Many would say we was one of the Preimier closers on the game in the 90's. I would say he was high on the second tier of quality closers. Hoffman, Rivera still impressed me more than Percival did! He was good though!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

What's all this 90's talk? Does anybody remember the 2002 WS run the Angels had?