Thread: Cards In Trouble

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cards In Trouble

The Cards are in some serious trouble after being swept by the MLB leading Brewers. The Cards sit dead last in the Central but there are things to look forward to after they pay their respects to Josh Hancock. First is getting closure on the tragic death of Hancock and getting back to focusing on baseball. After that you got Pujols starting to come around. He's hitting .435 in his last seven games. Now it's up to Rolen and Edmonds to knock him in. Chris Carpenter has been pain-free in his bullpen sessions and is expected back next Wednesday. This is crucial as he is their ace and gets this rotation back on track. Reyes has pitched better than his 0-5 record shows. Eckstein was moved down to eighth while LaRussa tries to shake things up. Hopefully this works and gets Eckstein's bat going. Taguchi needs more playing time over Spiezio as So has been hitting a lot better and is a lot quicker in the OF. This team can easily start to get things going and put up a good winning streak and I expect them to be in the hunt in September.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Cards In Trouble

Chris Carpenter will undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right elbow and is expected to miss at least three months.
    It was clear this was a possibility. Carpenter said he felt fine following his simulated game Tuesday, but he must have had swelling in the elbow within the last couple of days. Carpenter should be able to come back strong after having a bone spur removed from his elbow, but it typically does take three months. It looks like Brad Thompson is the leading candidate to replace him in the rotation.
    I cannot believe no one has brought this up as he is one of the top tier pitchers in all of baseball. This adds to their trouble as I thought he was well on his way back. If (and this is a big if) the Cards can stay in it the hunt, Mulder and Carpenter will be returning at close to the same time for that second half push.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

To be honest, I wasn't real scared of the Cards this season. It is Miller Time this year as they have proclaimed the Central lead and seem to be building on it every night.

As far as Carp goes, he will definitely be missed. I hope he comes back strong as he career deserves nothing less. The one thing I do fear is Jocketty. He knows how to get a deal down during the deadline. So if Carp is healthy by then and Mulder is back as well, we may be seeing a big comeback by the Cards.

The thing for them to do is to keep within a safe distance of the Brewres until the All-Star break.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

No one in the Central was really scary before the season started but the Brewers are proving everyone wrong and without an real effective Sheets. Jenkins has resurged and Hardy and Fielder are straight crushing.

As for the Cards to get things going, Edmonds and Rolen have to start hitting around Pujols and they have to go get a real RFer as Spiezio is just not an OFer. Encarnacion seems like he will be a while before getting back in the groove down in the minors. Eckstein has to start getting on base and get back towards the top of the order where he belongs. I do like Duncan hitting behind Pujols but with Rolen and Edmonds hitting .200 it doesn't really matter. This offense needs to click and quick.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Agreed man. I just looked at the Cards offensive numbers and was honestly shocked. I expected a decline in Edmonds and maybe in Rolen, but not that much.

I love Duncan, the guy can rake. He will be a positive force in that lineup for a long time. I think their offense will get it together sooner or later. Hopefully not later.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

If Tony LaRussa ever bats Preston Wilson leadoff again, I will be forced to murder somebody.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Ew, disgusting. When did that happen?