Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Playoff bound once again

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cardinals Playoff bound once again

Remember when we were kids playing cup ball in the city park, catch with your father in the backyard, or the amazing whiffle ball games in the city street? How many of those times did you come out on top? Whether it was a night with your friends under the street lights and you parked that plastic white ball over your neighbors shrubs, or if it was being that Little League hero striking out the side to win the championship game. We have all been there a time or two. Do you remember the pleasant feeling you had in that moment?

The St. Louis Cardinals are 7.5 games ahead of the Cincinnati Reds and are getting very close to clinching their third straight division title. They are closing in on that moment. That feeling of a champion. But the game is not over yet.

These Cardinals know what it feels like to be close. But they have not grasped what they really want since 1982 when they defeated the Milwaukee Brewers for the World series crown. We all remember the last time they made it to the World Series. It ended in a clean sweep for the Boston Red Sox in 2004. But the Cardinals are trying to build on that loss and remind themselves what the taste of victory is like.

Are the Cardinals the best representation for the NL? Can they beat teams like the Mets, Dodgers, or Padres? Are they ready to look past the years miscomings and build on their third straight division crown? In 2006, we may be looking at a team starving for that moment when they were the hero in the neighborhood. Its time to shift that taste of victory to a present feeling of achievement.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Just a thought on the Cards.... If they don't do some over hauling in the off season, this could very easily be the last time for awhile they win the division... A loolt of the teams are vastly improving and will contend if not over take the Cards and Astros as the power to be in the NL Central.

I like the Cards chances... They have Pujols (great hitter), Carpenter (great pitcher), and LaRussa (good to great manager).. The NL is weak, it is anybodys to win that makes it in the post season...

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Mets are the only real threat in the post season. As far as this could be the last time the Cards win the Central, get real. They still have the best pitcher and player in the game. Rolen is going to be there for a long time as well. In conclusion, two words...Walt Jocketty!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

They may win the Central next year, but the gap is definitely closing.. The Reds, Pirates, and even my beloved Brewers are improving. The Cards are good, I agree with your point about having the best pitcher and hitter in the division.. They struggled this year, and all my point is that the gap is closing and could possibly be passed by another team next year.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Cards vs the Stros tonight on ESPN. Cards have a comfortable 4.5 game lead, but will the Astros try and gain ground? Should be a nice matchup tonight favoring the Stros with Clemens on the mound.

The race isnt close right now, but there still is a possibility to gain ground.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What is going on with these Cardinals? They just cannot get a win lately. Swept by the Stros and now are having a hard time with the Padres. These are two teams they do not want to lose ground to. Yet, they have been abysmal of late.

Anyone know what could help them out?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    The Mets are the only real threat in the post season. As far as this could be the last time the Cards win the Central, get real. They still have the best pitcher and player in the game. Rolen is going to be there for a long time as well. In conclusion, two words...Walt Jocketty!
    The Rangers had the best player in the game for some time, didn't really do them any good.
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Did they have the best pitcher to build around? Nope!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    What is going on with these Cardinals? They just cannot get a win lately. Swept by the Stros and now are having a hard time with the Padres. These are two teams they do not want to lose ground to. Yet, they have been abysmal of late.

Anyone know what could help them out?
    To answer your first question, pitching. They have one of the ugliest bullpens going into the playoffs maybe of alltime.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

pitching and dont play the Astros. That team gives the Cards fits!!!

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Isnt it funny how the NL Central has quickly become the NL West. Crappy this year!!!! No mention from the media that I have heard of possibly the division winner having a losing record. Remember last year the media ripping on the NL West for being so dismal. I am not saying the West is great this year, but they have two teams in the Padres and Dodgers that are probably better than the division winner in the Central this year. Oh how the NL is in for a whoopin' this post season... I sure hope I am wrong, but I just dont see any NL posing a threat to any of the AL playoff teams!

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Did they have the best pitcher to build around? Nope!
    so once every 5th game the Cardinals will be really hard to beat.

I don't see how that makes them dominant.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

How about every 3 2/3's day, Suppan has pitched pretty good down the stretch here.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by brewersfan19
    How about every 3 2/3's day, Suppan has pitched pretty good down the stretch here.
    I figured we were on discussion of next season. Jeff Suppan doesn't scare anyone, nor does anyone else currently in the St. Louis rotation not named Chris Carpenter.

All that being said, I was merely responding to the insinuation that it's laughable to think STL might be toppled next year if they don't do something this offseason off the sole basis that they "have the best offensive weapon and best pitcher in the NL"

I think some of their other offensive weapons can and will rebound, not to mention the emergance of Chris Duncan, so I don't think it's that cut and dry. (Their pitching isn't too pretty outside of Carpenter, however.)

I was simply arguing that a team won't be dominant just because they have one dominant offensive player to go with one dominant pitcher. It takes more than that...but STL does have more than that, at least on the offensive side.

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

I agree with you HollywoodLeo! I was just saying that Suppan has pitched pretty well for the Cards the 2nd half. He doesnt scare me unless he is pitching against the Brewers. He has their number! But then again, so do a lot of other pitchers. So I 2nd you post!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast