Thread: Cards Interested In Victor Diaz

AA ERA

Cardinals Cards Interested In Victor Diaz

Walt Jocketty and the Cardinals are currently mulling over various options to add an outfield bat, and one player who is definitely on the radar is Victor Diaz.

The 24 year-old Diaz had a fine year in 2005 between Triple A and the Majors. However, after losing the Mets' right field battle to Xavier Nady this year Diaz has become the odd man out. He's stumbled to a .245/.310/.371 line in Triple A and his stock is at an all-time low. Still, Diaz has shown 25 HR power and was projected to hit .265/.323/.469 for the Mets by Baseball Prospectus's PECOTA system.
    New York doesn't have much use for Diaz, and one player they like is 24 year-old righthander Mark Worrell in the Cardinals' system. Worrell uses an unorthodox, sometimes sidearm delivery to retire hitters. He did a fine job as a closer in A ball last year, but the jump to Double A hasn't been so kind. Worrell has 15 saves and a 1.28 WHIP, but he also owns a 5.27 ERA. Walks and home runs have been a problem.

It's a swap that makes sense - a couple of minor leaguers who have not met expectations this year. My Mets source tells me that discussions are ongoing.

MLB ERA
    Don't see it happening. Why trade a major league commodity for someone who could very well fail at AA. Not to mention with the rickety legs of Cliff Floyd, it's nice to have a backup.

MLB ERA
    Nady/Beltran/Milledge/Chavez gives them good depth, and with Nady's emergence, Diaz really has no place on the team, particularly since he's a liability on defense.

MLB ERA
    Minor league closers have no value.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Cards are better off getting guys like Stewart, Crawford or even Wilson for the Bucs.

AA ERA
    Another Option For St. Louis

My Mets source has sent an update regarding the recent Victor Diaz information. Seems the Cards just weren't offering enough in Mark Worrell for Diaz. Diaz remains widely available, and could be used to acquire a decent second baseman like Mark Grudzielanek.
    The Cardinals have another outfielder on the radar - old favorite Reggie Sanders. Reggie is 38 now, and he's not showing any ability to get on base as a regular for the Royals. Still, his .259/.301/.476 line (8 home runs) is not far from his work with St. Louis back in '04. Sanders typically walks about 7-8% of the time, but this year it's been below 6%. I guess his new club is influencing his style - KC is second to last in the AL in walks this year.
    Sanders's .777 OPS is just the 12th best among AL right fielders. He signed a two-year, $10MM deal with the Royals last offseason. He'd probably play left field if he returned to St. Louis. As a group, the Cardinals' left fielders have hit just .243/.305/.321 with one home run. At the least, Sanders would provide a power threat.
    The Cardinals will likely settle for a second tier outfielder in the trade market, as I'm told Anthony Reyes and Adam Wainwright are being slotted into the 2007 rotation.