Thread: Cards considering Tori Hunter/Shannon Stewart

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Cards considering Tori Hunter/Shannon Stewart

per MLB trade rumors:

Kevin Mench is hitting .300/.328/.591 with 9 home runs. He's been driving in a lot of runs as the Rangers' sixth place hitter. What's more, Jason Marquis has stunk it up (6.00 ERA) and John Koronka came out of nowhere to toss four quality starts in seven tries. Can't see any kind of Mench for Marquis swap now.
    Also, Jim Edmonds is hitting .240/.333/.417, and Will Carroll thinks he may have to shut it down for a while to get completely right again.
    Toss in a strained elbow for Sidney Ponson (who has a 2.81 ERA) and a sore back for Mark Mulder, and the Cardinals can't afford to deal a starting pitcher right now.

The need for an outfielder persists. So Taguchi isn't hitting. Larry Bigbie was activated yesterday, and he deserves a shot. According to Cardinals Diaspora, a recent Buster Olney report indicates interest from Walt Jocketty in Torii Hunter or Shannon Stewart. As noted in the post, Stewart is more their style. He makes $6.5MM this year and is off to a .295/.352/.384 start. PECOTA expects his age 32 season to finish around .272/.335/.406. Is that really any better than the .264/.334/.423 season projected for Bigbie?
    The Craig Wilson option remains a viable one, and Luis Gonzalez's .832 OPS ain't bad. Cards fans dream of Miguel Cabrera, but Dontrelle Willis seems more likely to be dealt this summer. Haven't seen any smoke on that one for a while, though the Cards did show interest. Anthony Reyes remains the best trading chip, as he has a 3.62 ERA and 35/5 K/BB ratio at Triple A. About a week ago, Viva El Birdos noted some interesting developments surrounding a Reyes start.
    A few more possibilities, based on my own speculation: Eric Hinske, Reggie Sanders, Alfonso Soriano, Emil Brown, Brady Clark, Jose Cruz Jr., Matt Lawton, David Dellucci, and Victor Diaz.
    If I were GM? I'd probably start with Lawton but see what it would take to get Reggie back.
    I think the Cards are right to be looking for some outfielders. Edmonds just can't get it together without recooperating. I like Taguchi though and I think he will get things going soon. And Bigbie could do some things for this team, but if these guys continue to struggle, it would be interesting how interested the Cards are for these two outfielders.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Edmonds is done, finally (for the Reds' sake). I think Reggie Sanders would be an intriguing possibility, based on his history with the Cards. They won't get anyone huge, like Cabrera or Willis. If they traded for Hunter, then Edmonds would more than likely have to move to LF, RF, or get traded (although I don't have a clue who would want him). Matt Lawton isn't much better than what they have, so I really don't see him being an option.
    rf28

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Jocketty is capable of getting Cabrera as he is one of the best GMs in baseball. Cards have trade bait like J Rod and Wainwright. Sanders is not a possibility IMO because they have been there and done that and is not worth trading anyone for. Stewart is the most likely candidate because he is cheaper and can play left field. Edmonds is still driving in runs despite having a low batting average.

MLB ERA
    John Rodriguez and Adam Wainwright aren't even close to a package for Cabrera. Reggie Sanders is the best possibility because the Royals are incompetent.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Wainwright is young and pitching great and J Rod is better than Abercrombie. There would have to be more but it makes financial sense. Sanders is a possibility, just not a good one because the Cards could get someone a lot better and healthier. Thanks for playing though!

MLB ERA
    No, the Cards couldn't get someone a lot better and healthier. Even Anthony Reyes wouldn't be enough to get a monster bat like Miguel Cabrera.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Now that's kind of laughable!! Reyes would be a great replacement for Willis. Anyway, did you not read the ****ing article? Everyone they talked about is better and healthier!

MLB ERA
    Reyes is unproven with a serious injury history. He and Wainwright still make for a sad package to get Willis.

Now tell me how Travis Ishikawa is the next Willie McCovey.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm sure he'll tell you how Merkin Valdez will nab 5 Cy Youngs in the future.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I am sure I have never said anything or any sorts. Ishikawa has some pop but is not near ready for the big leagues and Valdez is possibly our future closer if he can ever stay healthy. Valdez's stock has fallen below the Edwin Jackson line!

As far as the trade, how many unproven prospects have the Marlins got in the past year? Yeah, and what 's wrong with the top prospect from the best team in the NL? Willis is a goner and they will need someone to replce him and Reyes is as good as anyone to do it. He's cheap and left handed which the Marlins hardly have any lefties. Wainwright can start or help in that sad pen of theirs. It's about the money and talent, more importantly the talent.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    you think the Cardinals are going to go after Willis?

AA ERA
    Well, if the Marlins wanted David Wright from the Mets in return for Willis, Wainwright and Reyes surely won't get the deal done.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The Wright talks were bullshit and didn't happen. Do I think the Cards are going to go after Willis? No, but they will try if he comes available. Willis isn't really pitching that well so it might not be that hard to get him. The Marlins want young, CHEAP talent.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man if the Cards land D-Train it is allover for the entire league. Consider it a wrap.