Thread: Boss to Guillen: "Shut it up"

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA

Boss to Guillen: "Shut it up"

TAMPA, Fla. (AP) -- George Steinbrenner wants Ozzie Guillen to zip his lips.

The New York Yankees owner didn't appreciate a shot the Chicago White Sox manager took at Alex Rodriguez, remarks Guillen later apologized for.

"Shut it up," Steinbrenner said Saturday, moving his hands across his lips in a zipper move. "I like Ozzie Guillen as a manager, but I don't like him when he pops off like that," the Boss said, following with a profanity.

Guillen criticized Rodriguez for saying he would play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, then switching to the United States. Rodriguez was born in the United States but his parents are Dominican.

After making the critical remarks to Sports Illustrated, Guillen apologized Friday.

Steinbrenner didn't think Rodriguez would be bothered by the remark.

"When he gets with the team here, it will be fine. Count on A-Rod," Steinbrenner said.

Steinbrenner sat at the batting cage with manager Joe Torre toward the end of Saturday's workout.
    Steinbrenner was right this time.

Just because you won the World Series doesn't mean you have a right to run your mouth.Neither player that Ozzie bashed (A-Rod and Nomar) play for Ozzie,therefore what does he care?

Personally I think the WBC should be like the Olympics,you play for whatever country you are a citizen of.If you have dual citizenship,then you have a choice to make,otherwise there is no choice to be made,you play for whatever country you are a citizen of.That would put both A-Rod and Nomar on the U.S. squad.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Steinbrenner telling someone to shut up is like Richard Simmons telling someone that they're gay.

AA ERA
    Funny that Steinbrenner made that comment about what Guillen had said but if Ozzie wants his revenge all he has to do is wait until around Sept. when the Boss is calling out his own players and Joe Torre because they haven't won every game and then Ozzie can throw it back in Steinbrenner's face.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I just can't wait for the White Sox Yankees match ups this season.

Yankees have rivalries going with both Sox these days.

MLB ERA
    Both of them shut up.

I thought it was kind of funny. I like seeing an owner stick up for his players.

MLB ERA

White Sox

Ozzie's going to be Ozzie no matter what you do to him, and the thing about Ozzie is he tells it the way he sees it, no matter who likes it or dislikes it. If Steinbrenner is pissed at Ozzie for "taking a shot at A-Rod" (telling it like he saw it), then he's going to have to grab a ticket, because he's not the first in the long line of people that Ozzie has pissed off with a comment, and he certainly won't be the last. I just hope Ozzie doesn't let anyone change him, because baseball season would certainly be less fun without him. Plus there's that 30 pound trinket he brought to Chicago for the first time ever. It's the one that's toured around here all winter and that Cubs fans will never get any closer to.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    And about Steinbrenner,he can say whatever he wants when it pertains to the Yankees.It's his right because he owns the team.People don't like it,but that's the way it is when you own the team.

Guillen doesn't own a team,he just is the manager of one.He needs to worry about his own team instead of spouting off about players that player for someone else.He has more to worry about than A-Rod or Nomar choosing to play for the USA or another team in the WBC.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Both of them shut up.
    don't you mean "shut it up."

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Both of them shut up.
    Holy crap, we actually agree on something. That CAN'T be good.

AAA ERA
    I like Ozzie and I don't have any problem w/ what he said. In reality ARod should not have been waffling, he's American and as long as the American team wanted him to play that's where he should have been all along.

Ozzie runs his mouth a little too much sometimes but overall I like him.