Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Indians Just be glad your team's owner isn't Larry Dolan

Pointing fingers

Indians owner blames Steinbrenner for baseball's woes

Posted: Tuesday July 16, 2002 7:40 PM
    Updated: Tuesday July 16, 2002 11:46 PM

Speaking Tuesday at a luncheon in this Cleveland suburb, Dolan criticized Steinbrenner for increasing his team's payroll even more through trades for Raul Mondesi and Jeff Weaver as the Yankees make another postseason run.

"George is a large part of our problem," he said.
    So has lowering the payroll gotten you to postseason yet, Larry?

Dolan took offense at Steinbrenner's criticism of Minnesota Twins owner Carl Pohlad for not spending enough money.

"What he doesn't say is George is not spending George's money. George is spending revenue that most of us don't have," Dolan said.
    As for Pohlad, I'll leave it to Lynch to sum it up. You may learn something, Larry.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynch
    The douchebag is worth about 2 billion dollars. He can whine all he wants about revenue, but if he put players on the field, he'd be putting butts in the stands and even MORE money in his pocket.
    He said the Yankees, whose payroll is about $135 million, are forcing other teams to overspend so they can compete. He used the World Series champion Arizona Diamondbacks as an example, saying they "bought themselves a World Series last year."
    Correct, the pitching performances of Schilling and Johnson, the spark provided by that overpaid Craig Counsell, the World Series clinching hit by Luis Gonzalez off Mariano Rivera and other clutch performances contributed nothing to the Dbacks' World Series title. It was all because of a high payroll.

Dolan also said he:

• Believes that failing to sign Manny Ramirez to a hefty contract two years ago was the "best thing that's never happened to me."

• Supports baseball commissioner Bud Selig's decision to halt the All-Star Game with the score tied 7-7.
    Manny now has a World Series ring, but the Red Sox "bought" the title, so it doesn't count, right, Larry? And supporting a tie ball game shows how much you care about winning.

link

Any owner cries and complains like that doesn't deserve a franchise.

Banned
    ERA
    Call NASA
    Any owner and any fan who snivels like that needs to be executed. Oh my God, then the world would have only winners.

08 AL Cy Young: Cliff Lee Pronk48's Avatar
    Rookie ERA
    I don't think The Boss is ruining the league at all.I think the owners that just want some profit and don't care if thier team is competing are ruining baseball.The owners that refuse to spend money and once they get a good player through thier farm system...they trade them.Those are the owners ruining baseball.

Yeah,The Boss has a luxury nobody else comes close to (except Boston and LA) by owning a team in NYC,the media capital of the USA/world.But you know...any owner can get a station jsut for thier team like he has with the YES Network.Hell...get a competive and you'll get even more revenue.
    Cleveland Indians : 0-5, 5th AL Central
    Pittsburgh Pirates Record: 3-2. 1st NL Central

AAA ERA
    Its great to hear a Non-Yankee fan saying these things. Good work, Pronk.

Pronk = Best Sports Nickname (active).

Rookie ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    Its great to hear a Non-Yankee fan saying these things. Good work, Pronk.

Pronk = Best Sports Nickname (active).
    LOL thanks man.The Boss just wants to win,and I think you have to admire that...especially when many owners don't care about winning.

BTW...do you know what Pronk stands for?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    What does it stand for? And sorry for the late welcome, but I just have been absent for a while.

I have no clue why an owner would show is true immaturity like this either. This is hilarious though, great post mofo.

Rookie ERA
    "Pronk" is Travis Hafner's nickname.It's a combo of two old nicknames he got in the minors "Project" (because they said he was a project) and "Donkey" (because they said he runs like a donkey).

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thats awesome man! Great name. BTW, how did you find the forums anyhow?

Rookie ERA
    I post at the sister site www.thenflforums.com my sn there is RoethlisBURGHer (yes,I am a Steelers fan).

AAA ERA
    When a Dolan wants to buy your team run the other way, We have Dolans running the Knicks and Rangers and he has sunk 2 once proud, competitive franchises into the ground. Larry Dolan took a great indians franchsie finally rebuilt after many decades of losing and sunk them bakc to old times. Now they have come back and appear to be on the brink of great things but w/ a dolan in charge you know he'll screw it up.