Thread: Rocker willing to work in NY

Rocker willing to work in NY

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?...mlb&id=2032900

CENTRAL ISLIP, New York - John Rocker is willing to work in the New York area.

The controversial reliever, who made disparaging remarks about New York and its baseball fans in a 1999 Sports Illustrated article, has signed with the Long Island Ducks of the Independent Atlantic League for the 2005 season.

"John had opportunities to pitch elsewhere and he chose to pitch here," Ducks pitching coach Dave LaPoint said.

The reigning champions of the Atlantic League, the Ducks begin play in May.

Rocker forever will be linked with the Sports Illustrated article in which the former Atlanta Braves closer blasted New York, criticizing the city from everything from its pace to ethnic diversity.

For his remarks, Rocker was suspended by commissioner Bud Selig for 14 games.

The comments also put teammates in an awkward position and the one-time elite closer was traded from Atlanta to Cleveland midway through the 2001 season.

Rocker, 30, spent one season in Cleveland and another in Texas but has been out of baseball since appearing in two games for Tampa Bay early in 2003. He took all of 2004 off while recovering from left shoulder surgery.

In 1999, Rocker saved a career-high 38 games for the Braves. He is 13-22 with 88 saves and a 3.42 ERA in 280 career games.

AA ERA
    I think the Rocker experiment will fail in July or August and then he will be released.

It will be interesting how he reacts to the fans if the fans boo him. The fans love their Ducks over in L.I. so he may not get big of a break there either. If he struggles, he will never hear the end of it and fans will get on him. John tends to react negatively when fans get on his case. I read an article where couple of patrons in a Dallas restaurant got on his case for stinking it up for the Rangers and then he got very angry so he got into a shouting match with them. He is such a hothead. Maybe he changed. Who knows.

It will be interesting.

Obviously, he wants to go back to the majors, hence why he signed with the L.I. Ducks. but even then it will be interesting if some major league team will take a risk on him.

The only reason why the Ducks even signed him was that he could be used as a ticket draw for the fans to come.

I find the John Rocker's and Rick Ankiel's of this world to be interesting. They have no hope of being what they were at one time but they have a shred of talent or reputation that they can still earn a paycheck playing baseball. Like the over the hill boxer taking one more fight...then again I think it would be awesome to get paid to play the greatest game on this planet.

Maybe they have more brains than ability.

Rookie ERA
    Rocker will get killed in NY.

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Haha, the Ducks are awesome...Rocker can help because they're an Independent League team but he won't get a good reception.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

Maybe I should have made a poll...
    What will Rocker do 1st?
    1. Get a K.
    2. Allow a HR.
    3. Throw a scoreless inning.
    4. Get killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedc

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Rocker will work just about anywhere that will pay him.
    rf28

I remember the first time I saw him running out onto the field when he was still a Brave...I really never considered him that good....

Quote Originally Posted by Tedc
    By the same people who wouldn't dare let their daughter near anyone of those "colorful characters" who ride the 7 train

Rocker is a confusing issue, once he left ATL he died. Is it that often when a pitcher is entering the physical prime of his career, he dies off? Weird, weird situation. He has to be one of the only pitchers with notable postseason time who did not give up a single ER, and an under 1 WHIP to boot.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

Braves And ??????????

is it me or who the hell cares that this guy is even gonna pitch in baseball again. woop dee doo. the last time i remember seeing this guy he couldnt cut it in quiet texas now hes gonna go the busiest city in the world. ha ha ha. make me laugh. this guy wont make it through a month and will be out of the league real fast. dont be surprised to see him in a city near you using a cash register when ur making it a blockbuster night...

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by braves1021
    is it me or who the hell cares that this guy is even gonna pitch in baseball again. woop dee doo. the last time i remember seeing this guy he couldnt cut it in quiet texas now hes gonna go the busiest city in the world. ha ha ha. make me laugh. this guy wont make it through a month and will be out of the league real fast. dont be surprised to see him in a city near you using a cash register when ur making it a blockbuster night...
    i care......i for one wanna see what happends with him.