Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A-Rod owned by Selig

Yankees A-Rod owned by Selig

After saying he planned to play for the Dominican Republic in the World Baseball Classic, Alex Rodriguez was told by Bud Selig that it wasn't his choice to make.
    Selig didn't say whether Rodriguez would be asked to represent the U.S. or the Dominican Republic in the competition, but it is known that A-Rod was asked to be the representative of the U.S. in Monday's home run derby. Rodriguez was born and raised in the U.S., but telling him he can't pick his country when he does quality to represent both seems a little more significant than telling him which cap he'll be wearing in the Hall of Fame.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Selig should stay out of this one. Hes already ****ed up the All-Star Game and this game counts format. Let AROD play for the D.R.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    LOL @ Selig. Get real. Quit tryin to treat your players like they are your slaves. I am tired of this bullshit in sports.

I can somewhat see what Selig is trying to do...but this is still pretty ridiculous.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I find this humorous. Selig knows this tournament is putting the USA's balls in a nutcracker. If Team USA doesn't win it will be a national embarrassment if we actually get star players out there playing. He knows the D.R. already will have a super lineup of all stars all the way through. He must feel pretty insecure about the possibility of arguably the game's best player playing for the D.R. too when he could play for the US.

I can see Selig's point. Rodriguez was born here, raised here, and advantages come from being here...but to say the players can't choose their country when there is a clear connection is a bit messy.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    It's like this: A-Rod is a citizen of both countries, but he identifies himself more with Dominican culture and American. I do not have a problem with that.

If 2 Chinese people have a kid that is born in America, that kid will call himself Chinese. Ya think? If 2 Cuban people have a kid that is born in America, that kid will call him Cuban. This is no different..

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I find it a little humerous that Arod is trying to play for the D.R. when like you said, he was born and raised in the U.S. That's like people still saying they are a quarter Native American. Get real dude, you are not an Indian. Arod you are an American, always have been and always will be.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    It's like this: A-Rod is a citizen of both countries, but he identifies himself more with Dominican culture and American. I do not have a problem with that.

If 2 Chinese people have a kid that is born in America, that kid will call himself Chinese. Ya think? If 2 Cuban people have a kid that is born in America, that kid will call him Cuban. This is no different..
    In both cases, the kid is an American citizen. I have no problem with honoring and being loyal to your heritage, but at the bottom line, they're American. That being said, I think it would be selfish to go and play for another country if you were born and raised in America. It's about being grateful to the country that has provided you with so much.

MLB ERA
    Provided so much? I don't know if you are a minority in America, but if you were.. you would know that as a kid, white kids tease you for not being white. Why should he be grateful to people who don't even believe he should be here? Yes, America has provided great oppurtunities for many different people. And we are thankful for that, but nobody is going to change their culture just because of that. That is what makes America so great, a melting pot, of many cultures. Not just one.

A-Rod grew up in New York, where there are lots of 100% Dominican neighborhoods, and then he moved to Miami, where again there are lots of 100% Dominican neighborhoods. It isn't like he grew up in White Suburbia. He was raised in for all intents and purposes, Dominican neighborhoods.

AAA ERA
    F ARod, I don't want him representing my Country now- go play for the DR.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Hmark6
    In both cases, the kid is an American citizen. I have no problem with honoring and being loyal to your heritage, but at the bottom line, they're American. That being said, I think it would be selfish to go and play for another country if you were born and raised in America. It's about being grateful to the country that has provided you with so much.
    I agree 100%. If one doesn't like it in the US and doesn't want to "identify" with it or be a part of it...then just leave. It's that simple. Otherwise, if you like it here and like to take advantage of what you've gained from here, then show some respect.

Oh, and don't give me the "he's a minority thing" because soon enough it's going to swing the other way and minorities will no longer be minorities.

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by ATLien
    Provided so much? I don't know if you are a minority in America, but if you were.. you would know that as a kid, white kids tease you for not being white. Why should he be grateful to people who don't even believe he should be here? Yes, America has provided great oppurtunities for many different people. And we are thankful for that, but nobody is going to change their culture just because of that. That is what makes America so great, a melting pot, of many cultures. Not just one.

A-Rod grew up in New York, where there are lots of 100% Dominican neighborhoods, and then he moved to Miami, where again there are lots of 100% Dominican neighborhoods. It isn't like he grew up in White Suburbia. He was raised in for all intents and purposes, Dominican neighborhoods.
    So just because a few kids teased you as a kid, you're going to hold a grudge for the rest of your life? If you let a few idiots ruin your childhood that your problem and no one else's.

No one is asking anyone to change their culture, but for all that America gave a guy like A-Rod, would it kill him to return the favor and put on the USA's uniform in this tournament?

They were Dominican neighborhoods, but:
    Who built the house that A-Rod grew up in? American architects...
    Who built A-Rod's high school? American contractors...
    Who payed for A-Rod education? American tax payers...
    Who secured the streets A-Rod lived on? American police officers...
    Who secured the country A-Rod grew up in? American soldiers...

Would be too much to ask for A-Rod to return the favor? I don't care what color his skin is. What country has had the most positive effect on his life?

Everyone ask yourself these questions.

MLB ERA
    I don't think Alex hates the United States or anything, he is just trying to honor his culture! It is possible to live your people's culture, while not having to live in DR.

Latin America can be a very dangerous place to live.

MLB ERA
    Answer me this...

Do you feel he is a traitor?

This is about playing a baseball game. It isn't like he leaked a CIA agent.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast