Thread: Confused Colorado drafts 11th-grader

AA ERA

Confused Colorado drafts 11th-grader

June 11, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands -- It's every high school pitcher's dream, but when the Colorado Rockies drafted 11th-grader Timothy Brewer he was more bewildered than thrilled.

In an apparent mix-up, the Rockies selected Brewer, a 17-year-old junior at Ivanna Eudora Kean High School in St. Thomas island, in the late rounds of Wednesday's Major League Baseball draft.

Brewer thought it sounded too good to be true. He's probably right -- at least for now. League rules say players who haven't finished high school are ineligible.

"I never thought I'd get to the major leagues," Brewer said. "But they drafted me after the 11th grade? I was like, man, that can't be so."

Rockies officials are unsure how the mistake happened and are trying to decide what to do next, said team spokesman Brendan McNicholas. But the mix-up will likely result in the Rockies losing their draft pick, he said.

Brewer, Colorado's 35th round pick, said he hasn't heard from the Rockies since they called to congratulate him Wednesday.

Nice job morons! Really shows what kind of shape this orgnization is in.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If that happened in the NBA:

With the 1st overall pick in the 2002 NBA draft, the Houston Rockets select.....Lebron James!.......oh right, he's not eligible yet...damn, we select Yao then.

AA ERA
    Yep. You would NEVER hear of this happening in NBA or NFL, NHL is a little different. No other teams drafted 11th graders as far as I know. I realize this isn't as bad as I make it seem like, because I'm sure it was a simple mistake, but still this is pathetic and really is representitive of how horrible this organization is run.
    I aim to try

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Rockies officials are unsure how the mistake happened and are trying to decide what to do next
    Maybe they'll mistake the word senior and draft a bunch of geezers next?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    June 11, 2005

CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE AMALIE, U.S. Virgin Islands -- It's every high school pitcher's dream, but when the Colorado Rockies drafted 11th-grader Timothy Brewer he was more bewildered than thrilled.

In an apparent mix-up, the Rockies selected Brewer, a 17-year-old junior at Ivanna Eudora Kean High School in St. Thomas island, in the late rounds of Wednesday's Major League Baseball draft.

Brewer thought it sounded too good to be true. He's probably right -- at least for now. League rules say players who haven't finished high school are ineligible.

"I never thought I'd get to the major leagues," Brewer said. "But they drafted me after the 11th grade? I was like, man, that can't be so."

Rockies officials are unsure how the mistake happened and are trying to decide what to do next, said team spokesman Brendan McNicholas. But the mix-up will likely result in the Rockies losing their draft pick, he said.

Brewer, Colorado's 35th round pick, said he hasn't heard from the Rockies since they called to congratulate him Wednesday.

Nice job morons! Really shows what kind of shape this orgnization is in.

Lucky kid Question is he going to be playing for the Rockies minor league teams in the future, or do they just have to wait till hes done with high school?

AA ERA
    Uhhhh the Rockies drafted him.

And he can't be drafted at all this year so he will go back into the draft pool for next year. Not even allowed to sign a contract.
    I aim to try

MLB ERA
    oh so it was a waste of a pick right? Man that is embarrasing. And btw sorry about saying Cubs, I know you more as Cubs fan