Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Congrats to A-Rod

Congrats to A-Rod

For smacking his 400th home run. Dude could have taken 2 seasons off and he'd still be the youngest to hit 400.

Only wished he would have hit it as a Ranger, it's too bad my cheap owner and controlling manager (Who could be in another situation as reported by local media) had to run him off.

Props to you A-Rod, may you be the one to break the HR record, instead of the steroid cheating freaks......

MLB ERA
    Who is better.. Pujols or Rodriguez? They are both crazy good & young.. but I think Pujols is better.

I used to be a huge A-Rod supporter, but after The Slap.. I dunno.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor
    Only wished he would have hit it as a Ranger, it's too bad my cheap owner and controlling manager (Who could be in another situation as reported by local media) had to run him off.
    C'mon. The guy wanted out. The guy quit on your team. He did not want to be part of a soultion. He is no better than Stephon Marbury who wanted out of Minnesota or Randy Johnson who wanted out of Arizona or Chuck Knoblauch who wanted out of Minnesota. Gerry Fraley, who is one of the best writers in the business and a guy I talk to a lot on email, made it very clear that A-Rod quit. Fraley is not the type to go BS either.

I know this is an entirely flukish (only 2 months of info) and spiteful stat from me, but only two of A-Rod's HRs this year have been in games the Yankees have won by 3 or less runs. It's interesting (also, only one more of those games (the 10 RBI game), existed where that if you took away A-Rod's RBIs, the decision would be changed or the game would have been within 3 runs).

Of course, that really has no relevance, but I figured the smack thread needed a little bashing of A-Rod
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Pujols is the better hitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    C'mon. The guy wanted out. The guy quit on your team. He did not want to be part of a soultion. He is no better than Stephon Marbury who wanted out of Minnesota or Randy Johnson who wanted out of Arizona or Chuck Knoblauch who wanted out of Minnesota. Gerry Fraley, who is one of the best writers in the business and a guy I talk to a lot on email, made it very clear that A-Rod quit. Fraley is not the type to go BS either.
    Hate hate hate hate hate hate hate - nothing but hate for my man! For a sec there I thought I was reading another Gammons article. My goodness, what will it take for you to show some love for the future HR king. Don't hate because he's got the green and a wife who can read his thoughts.

BTW - Fraley is a kind of guy who goes into the BS route, although I do agree with his views on Moneyball and Fuson. A-Rod didn't quit, he was frustrated with the stooges running the team, and you would too if the owner promised you one thing than lied and did the exact opposite. It's sad when we're hoping someone can claim Ryan Drese so that we'll have a million available to spend on pitching...LOL, we need money with a $52 million payroll, nevermind this team is making a profit before the first turnstile is turned on opening day. Hicks even said after the trade he talked to A-Rod and both agreed he was where he belonged.

And Pujols is a stud, I still think he's 35, but that's me. Guess we'll find out in the next 5 to 10 years if I'm right...

AA ERA
    Taylor: This has nothing to do with the money. This has more to do with his flaky personality. Pay-Rod was not well liked by his teammates in Texas and Seattle. Dan Graziano of the Star-Ledger (the paper I read daily) wrote a piece about him in March about how he is the most hated player in the game and how he conducts himself like a punk. When you read articles like that, there has to be truth in them. I will try to search that article and show it to you. Pay-Rod's actions speak for itself. Go ask Seattle fans about him personally and you will be lucky to find one good word about him. He comes off as a prima donna in my book. Also was it necessary to tell Bob Klapisch about how he works out at 6:00 a.m. while the rest of the baseball players are sleeping or taking care of the kids. First off, who the hell is he to go rip other teammates about their workouts and why mention their families in this. Second, why promote himself. Why? For the money he is making, I expect him to workout and take care of himself. Should he win a Nobel Peace Prize for doing that? I expect players to keep themselves in shape during the offseason.

Frustrated with the stooges running the team? All I know is John Hart and Buck Showalter has done a darn good job in the last two years. Everyone wants to win a championship, but it does not give them the right to go cry to the media about wanting out and getting his way. Showalter knows what he is doing. His work in NY and Phx speak for itself. BTW, I think Buck should win the Manager of the Year again this season and Hart should win the Executive of the Year award.

I will give him props for coming out and admitting that he goes through therapy. It shows you that athletes are human beings too and they go through these type of problems.

Feel free to start naming off some Hart moves, I'll join in:

Here's a scorecard to help you keep track.

DM - Doug Melvin
    GF - Grady Fuson
    BS - Buck Showalter
    EGS - Empty Golf Shirt (John Hart)
    CO - Cheap Owner (Tom Hicks)

Mark Texeirea - Drafted by DM, even a moron like EGS would have promoted him, guy ripped the minors.

Alfonso Soriano - Along with Arias, traded to Texas for A-Rod and $63 million (A trade ripped by the Oracle, and rotoworld noted "This forces us to re-write the rules of a bad trade"), noone in their right-mind called this a win for Texas. CO noted this will give us $120 million in financial freedom to spend on the team, EGS made a mockery a few days later by claiming Hank Blalock's resigning was a result of this "freedom"...nevermind Blalock signed for below market value and this was completed BEFORE the A-Rod trade. Oh, this trade happened ONE DAY after season ticket holders were forced to commit to the 2004 season, the same season ticket guys who were called constantly by the Rangers and even sent a letter by the CO bragging about A-Rod being captain and a Ranger. CO's response to a question about Galloway for those that felt screwed and would want a refund or discount, "There will be no refunds". Did I forget to mention that they tried to trade him earlier for Manny Ramirez and Jon Lester?? Did I also forget to mention the Red Sox raising heck because CO, BS and EGS were leaking info like a $3 canoe? Did I also mention that had that trade gone through we would have had a trouble-maker on our team, $1 million in flexibility and they were going to sign Sidney Ponson? How did he do last year? EGS, BS and CO each get 1/3 credit for this one.

Michael Young - Ooooh, this is a nice one. DM takes him in a trade for Esteban Loiza and is promoted in 2001, EGS tries furiously to trade him because he doesn't have a "Big enough bat" and wanted to put Hank at 2nd. Fortunately for us EGS couldn't get this done, can you imagine the uproar over this had EGS made a trade??? Dude would still be hiding in his spiderhole.

Hank Blalock - Drafted by DM, called up in I believe 2001. If anyone gets credit for him it should be BS because he kept him out of games where leftys played for the longest time.

Kevin Mench - Drafted by DM, called up in 2001.

Lance Nix - Drafted by DM, called up in I believe 03 but may have played in 02.

C - Gerald Laird, traded by GF along with Mario Ramos, John Hart, Ryan Ludwick for Carlos Pena and Ryan Verenfo. Ramos was a bust, Ludwick was traded by EGS for Ricardo Rodriguez (Still not sure what Cleveland was thinking). Current C include Sandy Alomar Jr (He must have compromising photos on Buck - he just plain sucks) and Rod Barrajas, a BS guy. Nevermind Laird is ripping AAA apart, odds are he's getting "Menched" because he chose to rehab his thumb instead of playing winterball.

P - Kenny Rogers, a GF signing (One where EGS publicly griped because GF gave him a second year, count me in as one who also griped - I'll admit it), Chris Young (I'll give EGS the benefit of the doubt and say it's his signing, however a 6-10 guy who throws in the mid 80s is not an EGS guy, that's more a pitchability GF person so I have my doubts, but I'll give it to EGS), Chan Ho Park - Easy, CO! Pedro Astacio - BS, and Ryan Drese (EGS will claim it was his, but rumor has it he was thrown in a trade by the request of GF. I'm giving this one to GF), since Drese's release Ricardo Rodriguez, a EGS trade. Juan Dominguez - DM, Frankie Francisco - EGS made the trade, GF scouted and picked the prospects (Because we had around 3 weeks to select the guys), both get a half credit, Franciso Cordero - DM.

So in counting, out of our starters (Assuming I counted right)

DM has 7 guys
    GF 3 1/2
    BS 3 1/2
    CO 1 1/2
    EGS 1.83

John Hart also gets credit for Todd Van Poppel, John Rocker, Carl Everett, Juan Gonzalez, Jay Powell - these wonderful moves (Along with Chan Ho) cost us our 2nd-5th round picks in 2002 and oh yes, each one has tanked. Everett was only good in the trade he netted us.

Hart does get credit for trading Urbina to Florida for Gonzalez, Smith and (Forgot the other guy, he was nothing more than minor league filler). This trade resulted in congrat faxes being sent to the Rangers office

Hart also gets credit for the horrible Haffner/Myette for Diaz/Drese trade, one that one publication noted "Shiparo should be arrested for 'Grand Theft Slugger'", Hart claimed at the time he made the trade because he needed catching, because he ran Pudge off (A move that was very, very unpopular with Ranger fans), last year Hart changed his story and claimed he made the trade because he needed pitching help (A dumb excuse since Myette had better stuff than Drese).

AA ERA
    Doug Melvin deserves credit for his draft picks too, but the bottom line Hart and Buck took that franchise to a new level of excellence.

Now let's go back to last year, a year where EGS was to step down, go into consultant move and GF takes over. There was no argument on anyone's part since EGS had a horrible relationship with the media (Geez, walk into town like you own it, give the media a 'Screw you' attitude only to run and hide when your gambles also fizzled out, and he has a problem with the local media???). However, once the team surprised EGS started clamoring for face time, CO makes a formal offer for 2 years to make GF a General Manager, BS and Orel then confront CO that if GF is made general manager, EGS will go to another team and they'll follow. In the past BS was told to not let the door hit him on the way out, but CO wimpily accepts, asks EGS to stay, EGS accepts and GF is told he can stay under his old title if he so chosed. GF at first had no problem, but oh no - EGS now has a problem. Seems now that GF has stacked up the farm club EGS wants a piece of it (Up until now GF had full control of the minors and implemented the tandum starter on A level and below, the tandum starter had a pitcher go either 5 innings or 80 pitches, and the second pitcher take over and go the same. Idea was to emphasize low pitch counts and save on wear and tear), EGS wants control of the minors and how it's run along with the draft. GF then announces he's leaving, BUT is paid until the end of his contract. How many guys do you know resign but still get paid...I mention this in case you say what I posted above was a lie.

EGS now has stated tandum starter is done for, draft will emphasize more on high ceiling instead of pitchability and that high schoolers will be more the focus. Some have said that really this is BS doing this since he's really running the show, hard to say. All I know is EGS almost traded away Erik Thompson and Ian Kinsler for Walker last year before Walker involked no-trade clause, Sam Narron was lost on waivers after 2.3 innings of work, Ben Kowloski was lost on waivers for Rudy Yan, who was then taken off the 40 a month later (In which Rotoworld noted he should never have been on the 40 in the first place).

Payroll, which was at $105 in 03 is now at $52 million after we took off $24 million, CO makes $46 in advertising, media, etc. before tickets are sold yet has said he's not spending until attendance hits 3 million. So where is that $120 million flexibility????

Now, please - tell me the guys that are here because of Hart....

Quote Originally Posted by Steak
    Doug Melvin deserves credit for his draft picks too, but the bottom line Hart and Buck took that franchise to a new level of excellence.
    What excellence??? I'm sorry, I forgot all those championships everyone has. Again, tell me how this was Hart's doing. He's made a few moves, a whole lot of bad ones and as Jennifer Floyd Engle said "He's mugging the camera now that things are good. When they were bad he hid, that tells me all I need to know about him."

At least Fuson and Buck are willing to own up to their mistakes....

AA ERA
    Here is a good one on Hart. It was John Hart that took a risk on hiring Orel Hershiser as a pitching coach after Oscar Acosta worn out his welcome. Even I thought it was stupid, but to Orel's credit, he has done a great job in developing pitchers. No one took a risk on Orel, but Hart did.

Hart may have made mistakes, but you know what. Everyone makes mistakes. Not many GMs are going to be John Schuerholz. Heck even the great GMs strike out. Billy Beane has been exposed as an overrated GM. Terry Ryan has made hideous mistakes in the 90s. He was lucky that he got a lot in the Knoblauch trade or he would be looking for work by now. Brian Sabean has made hideous moves.

Bottom line is that Hart and Buck has turned that franchise around after the last few years.

That was a good pick to get Orel, however as much as I like him - he did stab Fuson in the back along with Buck (Which is why I had that infamous avatar) and Hicks wimping out (Except when it comes to dealing with fans- oh he's tough there) is why I'm on the dark side of this team. These dudes have lied to my face, they've even had their own players question their committment (Both in the past off-season with financial restraints/Delgaldo) to recent roster moves.

The sooner Hicks sells this team, sooner Hart is kicked out the better. Buck and Orel, the backstabbers they are, are welcomed to stay. Just be prepared for me to say "I told you so" when San Diego's farmclub becomes stacked in the next few years and ours runs bare.

Sad part is, if I'm right, my team is screwed!

ERA
    Call NASA
    Mr.S. has made sure Arod is being taken care of. By a 'shrink' that is. Mr.S. is paying for a psychiatrist to treat Arods many problems. First and foremost, trying to make him fit in with a TEAM concept and getting away from his me attitude.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    I know this is an entirely flukish (only 2 months of info) and spiteful stat from me, but only two of A-Rod's HRs this year have been in games the Yankees have won by 3 or less runs. It's interesting (also, only one more of those games (the 10 RBI game), existed where that if you took away A-Rod's RBIs, the decision would be changed or the game would have been within 3 runs).

Of course, that really has no relevance, but I figured the smack thread needed a little bashing of A-Rod
    On the other hand, your 'flukish stat' is by no means flukish. It is real, and defines just how meaningless stats are in general. Your post defines Arod and his career. He has helped NO team he has played for.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast