Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Boy Have Things Changed

MLB ERA

Re: Boy Have Things Changed

Do you need a report to suggest it for it to have been fact?

I understand people used to play with injuries, but that still doesn't negate the fact that it could cause him to pitch poorly and he could be better off taking a few games off to let it heal. (IE the DL)

What would you rather have? Your star pitcher back at full health? Or him being able to beat his chest and tell people he's a man because he plays through injuries?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Is that a joke? No one mentioned it so yes there has to be a report about it to make me believe it. Since there was not one, I don't believe it and have to think this is very recent!! A report on a broken nail is as close to a fact you can get.

I would rather have my "star" pitcher (which he's not) out there pitching every fifth day unless its something serious. He has four days to get used to it. Heal? They grow back! Put a tight band-aid on it!! Have to learn to pitch through pain! He'll be back at full health when his nail grows back which doesn't take long. We have all had nails broken. Shit's weak Clay!

Dude, I played a entire tournament sun burnt and blisters on my fingers to where I could barely swing a bat and throw but I played through it and I was tournament co-MVP because I loved the game and knew I was a key part to my team. I had blisters on my head it was so burnt and it hurt like to hell to pull my hat/helmet on and off and had puss running in my eyes when at bat. What Buchholz is doing is being a pussy and extremely weak!! Curt Schilling can pitch with stitches in his ankle right after surgery but Clay can't pitch through a broken nail Wonder which ones worse?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

This is a ****ing ridiculous thread.

Clay Buchholz is a pussy!!!! I'm sure the Red Sox wanting to be cautious with their best prospect has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS DECISION!!
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Jon Lester?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

What about him?
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    I'm sure the Red Sox wanting to be cautious with their best prospect has NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS DECISION!!
    Lester? Buchholz has been crap so far this year and its not because of a boo boo.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Is that a joke? No one mentioned it so yes there has to be a report about it to make me believe it. Since there was not one, I don't believe it and have to think this is very recent!! A report on a broken nail is as close to a fact you can get.
    I didn't ask if there had to be a report in order for you to believe it, I asked if there had to be a report in order for it to have been fact.

I would rather have my "star" pitcher (which he's not) out there pitching every fifth day unless its something serious. He has four days to get used to it. Heal? They grow back! Put a tight band-aid on it!! Have to learn to pitch through pain! He'll be back at full health when his nail grows back which doesn't take long. We have all had nails broken. Shit's weak Clay!
    You'd rather have him pitching every day even if he won't be half as effective because of an injury, however minor, to one of the two key fingers on his pitching hand?

And quit with the band-aid retorts because a band-aid will not make him pitch any better.

Of course they grow back (!!!) that's what the time could be used for?

And why is it neccesary to pitch through pain if he doesn't have to?

It'd be different if it were the playoffs, then you have an argument. But why let a minor injury linger just to prove how manly you are if you don't have to?

Dude, I played a entire tournament sun burnt and blisters on my fingers to where I could barely swing a bat and throw but I played through it and I was tournament co-MVP because I loved the game and knew I was a key part to my team. I had blisters on my head it was so burnt and it hurt like to hell to pull my hat/helmet on and off and had puss running in my eyes when at bat. What Buchholz is doing is being a pussy and extremely weak!! Curt Schilling can pitch with stitches in his ankle right after surgery but Clay can't pitch through a broken nail Wonder which ones worse?
    Good for you.

Which major league team were you playing for?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    I didn't ask if there had to be a report in order for you to believe it, I asked if there had to be a report in order for it to have been fact.
    There would have to be a report for your poor excuse to hold water. There isn't one so it doesn't.

You'd rather have him pitching every day even if he won't be half as effective
    because of an injury, however minor, to one of the two key fingers on his pitching hand?
    No, every fifth day like he's scheduled to.

And quit with the band-aid retorts because a band-aid will not make him pitch any better.

Of course they grow back (!!!) that's what the time could be used for?

And why is it neccesary to pitch through pain if he doesn't have to?
    Band-aids do help!! Obviously you never had a broken fingernail then fi you don't know that.

The nail is going to grow back regardless!

You are being a team player and making yourself mentally tough. Every pitcher does it.

It'd be different if it were the playoffs, then you have an argument. But why let a minor injury linger just to prove how manly you are if you don't have to?
    Sorry but the argument is still valid. Point is he pitched through his pain, got through it and was successful. How is it lingering? Please explain how a nail is just going to stop growing back because of someone throwing a baseball??

Good for you.

Which major league team were you playing for?
    Cute. Its just too bad a tore my shoulder apart. You know, a real injury.

Your man card has been revoked

MLB ERA

There would have to be a report for your poor excuse to hold water. There isn't one so it doesn't.
    So you're saying it's beyond the realm of possibilities for him to have had the broken fingernail, played through it for two games without telling anyone, and then after realizing how bad it was affecting his game decided it was time to go on the DL?

No, every fifth day like he's scheduled to.
    How about answering the actual question instead of dodging it with technicalities?

Band-aids do help!! Obviously you never had a broken fingernail then fi you don't know that.
    Actually I have had broken a finger nail. That's why I know a silly band-aid over it wouldn't have kept it from bothering me.

The nail is going to grow back regardless!
    What's your point? Does the fact that the nail grows back negate the possibility that it could affect Clay's ability to pitch effectively?

You are being a team player and making yourself mentally tough. Every pitcher does it.
    Does being a "team player" include hiding an injury that affects your ability to perform well just so you can keep playing?

I don't know much about Clay's specific case (of course, I'm not the one pretending to) but if it was affecting his ability to pitch, then by all means he should miss starts until it grows back and heals.

Sorry but the argument is still valid. Point is he pitched through his pain, got through it and was successful. How is it lingering? Please explain how a nail is just going to stop growing back because of someone throwing a baseball??
    Valid point, to a degree.

I delved away from the specific case and started arguing the generic concept of going on the DL for minor injuries.

In this specific case he should be healthy no matter what after X amount of time, so the question is, does the issue affect his ability to pitch well enough that you're willing to throw him on the mound when one of your spot starters could perhaps do a better job?

I guess at least you can say he has the balls to pitch through pain!

Cute. Its just too bad a tore my shoulder apart. You know, a real injury.

Your man card has been revoked
    Pussy, you should have played through it.

Philip Rivers played an NFL Football game with no ACL in one of his knees, therefore you should be able to play baseball with a torn shoulder.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

So you're saying it's beyond the realm of possibilities for him to have had the broken fingernail, played through it for two games without telling anyone, and then after realizing how bad it was affecting his game decided it was time to go on the DL?
    Is out of the realm of possibilty? No, but its not reality. You can;t exactly hide a broken fingernail from the press and since there had been no report it of it, your theory has no merit.

How about answering the actual question instead of dodging it with technicalities?
    I have already.

Actually I have broken a finger nail. That's why I know a silly band-aid over it wouldn't have kept it from bothering me.
    It doesn't stop it from bothering but it does help a shit load. Pitchers pitch through sore shoulders and other various parts of the body that bother them all the time. I guess they should all be thrown to the DL

What's your point? Does the fact that the nail grows back negate the possibility that it could affect Clay's ability to pitch effectively?
    No, but its not going to grow back any sooner if he doesn't pitch. He had four days in between starts to make it better for him to pitch.

Does being a "team player" include hiding an injury that affects your ability to perform well just so you can keep playing?
    Who's hiding it? Oh yeah, no one. Being a team player means playing through what ever they throw at you. Every MLB player plays through serious pain.

I don't know much about Clay's specific case (of course, I'm not the one pretending to) but if it was affecting his ability to pitch, then by all means he should miss starts until it grows back and heals.
    Yes, actually you are the one pretending to by making up stories that have no facts backing them up.

Valid point, to a degree.

I delved away from the specific case and started arguing the generic concept of going on the DL for minor injuries.

In this specific case he should be healthy no matter what after X amount of time, so the question is, does the issue affect his ability to pitch well enough that you're willing to throw him on the mound when one of your spot starters could perhaps do a better job?
    How might be better off with a full fingernail but now he hasn't pitched in a while. Not exactly better off. He would be better off trying to pitch through it since his nail is going to grow back on the same time scale if he wasn't pitching.

I guess at least you can say he has the balls to pitch through pain!

Pussy, you should have played through it.

Philip Rivers played an NFL Football game with no ACL in one of his knees, therefore you should be able to play baseball with a torn shoulder.
    I did play through it and got all the praise from my teammates making them think twice about coming out of a ballgame for a lesser reason. I played every game except my last one after I tore my shoulder. I wanted to play and could still hit the ball. I just did warm up that much before the game or take outfield. I still had a MLB arm!! I just couldn't do it on a regualr basis anymore.

I also played softball with a torn ACL so eat me!! I played through far worse than Buchholtz and didn;t even get paid for it. I found it funny that you called me a pussy since you are defending the pussiest excuse for the DL

If a broken fingernail could land people on the DL, then a broken finger would end his career lol

MLB ERA

Is out of the realm of possibilty? No, but its not reality. You can;t exactly hide a broken fingernail from the press and since there had been no report it of it, your theory has no merit.
    Why can't you hide a broken finiger nail from the press?

Do the reporters give the players manacures during interviews?

I have already.
    So you would want a player to play with an injury that affects his ability to perform well just so he can beat his chest and say he plays through pain, gotcha.

It doesn't stop it from bothering but it does help a shit load.
    Have you ever had a broken finger nail?

I'll digress a bit, though, since we're discussing the specific case here and not the generic concept that I'm mainly focussing on.

Is his fingernail broken all the way off? or is it hanging? or what's the deal?

Pitchers pitch through sore shoulders and other various parts of the body that bother them all the time. I guess they should all be thrown to the DL
    They do go on the DL when the arm's soreness starts affecting their effectiveness.

Comparing an injury to the pitching hand to soreness after pitching is a bit silly.

No, but its not going to grow back any sooner if he doesn't pitch. He had four days in between starts to make it better for him to pitch.
    Whether or not it'll grow back and when is irrelelvant.

The question is whether or not Clay and his broken nail on his pitching hand gives the Red Sox a better chance to win than one of their healthy spot starters.

Who's hiding it? Oh yeah, no one. Being a team player means playing through what ever they throw at you. Every MLB player plays through serious pain.
    Correction: Every MLB player plays through pain when need be.

There's a fine line between being gritty and toughing it out and just being stupid.

Yes, actually you are the one pretending to by making up stories that have no facts backing them up.
    I'm not pretending to know anything about the specific case, I'm simply discussing one of my biggest pet peeves. People *****ing about baseball players going on the DL for what's perceived as minor injuries and acting like they need to "man up", especially when said discussion centers around an insinuation that they're being a detrement to the team by not doing so, when the exact opposite could very well be true.

Everything I've said in regards to Clay's specific case has been said under the premise of "if it's affecting his ability to pitch" with the insinuation that it could be (re: not is) due to the affected finger.

How might be better off with a full fingernail but now he hasn't pitched in a while. Not exactly better off. He would be better off trying to pitch through it since his nail is going to grow back on the same time scale if he wasn't pitching.
    If the broken nail is, indeed, hurting enough to cause him to not throw his pitches well I'd be willing to bet the odds of it affecting the Red Sox' chance at vicotry while he pitches through it are greater than the odds of him not coming back well after missing 2 starts.

I did play through it and got all the praise from my teammates making them think twice about coming out of a ballgame for a lesser reason. I played every game except my last one after I tore my shoulder. I wanted to play and could still hit the ball. I just did warm up that much before the game or take outfield. I still had a MLB arm!! I just couldn't do it on a regualr basis anymore.

I also played softball with a torn ACL so eat me!! I played through far worse than Buchholtz and didn;t even get paid for it. I found it funny that you called me a pussy since you are defending the pussiest excuse for the DL
    I can't believe you took me calling you a pussy seriously.

It was obvious sarcasm used to make a point.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Why can't you hide a broken finiger nail from the press?

Do the reporters give the players manacures during interviews?

So you would want a player to play with an injury that affects his ability to perform well just so he can beat his chest and say he plays through pain, gotcha.

Have you ever had a broken finger nail?

I'll digress a bit, though, since we're discussing the specific case here and not the generic concept that I'm mainly focussing on.

Is his fingernail broken all the way off? or is it hanging? or what's the deal?

They do go on the DL when the arm's soreness starts affecting their effectiveness.

Comparing an injury to the pitching hand to soreness after pitching is a bit silly.

Whether or not it'll grow back and when is irrelelvant.

The question is whether or not Clay and his broken nail on his pitching hand gives the Red Sox a better chance to win than one of their healthy spot starters.

Correction: Every MLB player plays through pain when need be.

There's a fine line between being gritty and toughing it out and just being stupid.

I'm not pretending to know anything about the specific case, I'm simply discussing one of my biggest pet peeves. People *****ing about baseball players going on the DL for what's perceived as minor injuries and acting like they need to "man up", especially when said discussion centers around an insinuation that they're being a detrement to the team by not doing so, when the exact opposite could very well be true.

Everything I've said in regards to Clay's specific case has been said under the premise of "if it's affecting his ability to pitch" with the insinuation that it could be (re: not is) due to the affected finger.

If the broken nail is, indeed, hurting enough to cause him to not throw his pitches well I'd be willing to bet the odds of it affecting the Red Sox' chance at vicotry while he pitches through it are greater than the odds of him not coming back well after missing 2 starts.

I can't believe you took me calling you a pussy seriously.

It was obvious sarcasm used to make a point.
    1. When its a pitcher and you interview him after the game with tons of reporters around, they are going to notice something like that without question especially in Boston. Plus they interview Francona every day and he mentioned it.... well he didn't.

2. I want a pitcher to pitch through the pain yes. No one knows if it will affect his ability until he goes out there and does it. Have to try first.

3. Comparing an injury to a hand and a shoulder is not silly at all. They are both vitals parts to a pitcher's ability. Saying a broken finger nail is worse is the silly part.

4. Yes I have had many broken finger nails and never once could I not do the job I was asked of me.

My pet peeve is players going on the DL for baby injuries and not toughing it out especially with what they are being paid. He has the same chances of being successful as some kid coming in from the minors. He had plenty of time to get through and deal with the injury before his next start. A broken fingernail is not big enough reason to send someone to the DL. Is he misses two starts, who's to say he will be more effective? He is more likely not to be rather than just playing through his minor injury. Every pitcher pitches through the pain while not being sent to the DL.

Izzy went on the DL due to a laceration on his pitching hand. Now I am starting to come around thinking this injury was all bullshit like Dirty and Brett suggested. Izzy went on the DL because he asked not to close anymore and was not effective. Buchholtz has been sucking balls (no reason as to why despite what some think) so I now think he falls in that category. The Red Sox PR guy should be beaten for making such a pussy reason to go on the DL.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

You know, when I first read about it, I thought "this sounds like something a Cincinnati Red would do."

What's next, a guy telling his manager he can't go because he spent too long in a tanning bed? (Oh wait, Marty Cordova did that) I half expect someone to claim he can't go because he played too much Wii!
    rf28

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12