Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hey Giantsfan83

MLB ERA

Re: Hey Giantsfan83

I guess if GF83 insists on proof, though...

Study: Steroids Could Significantly Increase Home Runs for Professional Players | Wired Science from Wired.com

Study: Steroids Could Significantly Increase Home Runs for Professional Players

By Alexis Madrigal September 25, 2007 | 9:31:00 AMCategories: Sports

A Tufts physicist and baseball fan will publish an article in the upcoming issue of the American Journal of Physics detailing how a small increase in muscle mass could increase the amount of home runs a professional-baseball-level player would hit by over 50 percent.

It is well documented that steroids increase muscle mass, but what was unclear was how that physical change would translate to on-the-field performance. The prevailing sentiment was summed up by Oakland A's third basemen Eric Chavez. He told the Boston Herald, "Everyone talks about being on the juice or whatever, but you still have to be able to hit. If you can't hit, nothing is going to help." But then, how to explain the explosion of home run hitting from about 1995 onward?

Roger Tobin, the study’s author, calculated that a 'roided-out size increase in muscle mass (10 percent) would allow a hitter to strike a baseball about 5 percent faster. For you or me, the 4 percent increase in ball speed that our higher bat speed would allow us to generate wouldn’t mean much. Chavez is right, for guys who can’t hit, steroids don’t help. We’d still fly out to center. But for professional baseball players playing in parks that were designed with normal human biological strength constraints in mind, that extra 4 percent means an “increase home run production by anywhere from 50 percent to 100 percent," according to Tobin.

Baseball rulemakers had set the distance from homeplate at around 400 feet to dead center because that was the discrete threshold that allowed some home runs but not too many. By changing the upper bound of their strength, already excellent hitters became like adults playing in a kids’ baseball field. Which is exactly the point, right?
    LeagueTeamyearsRecordWild CardDivisionPennantsTitles
    MSLSan Diego Padres2034-20592,217-1,9951631
    TBLArizona Diamondbacks2005-20181,216-1,0531963
    TSSLSan Diego Padres2015-2021, 2024-20281,017-9280732
    TSSLTexas Rangers2029-2033396-4140000

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by browntown653 View Post
    BTW...BuckFoston did you get that sig from ProSportsDaily forums?
    I think thats where it originated from but I have a buddy that sends me GFX every month by e-mail and he sent me it and so I would used it. I'm not sure who/where it originated from but I could sure ask my friend and find out if you wanted me to?
    Tennessee Titans. Duke athletics. New York Yankees. Carolina Hurricanes. Portland Trailblazers.

Milwaukee Brewers MSL GM

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Don't worry about it, I just saw it over there a few days ago.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by HollywoodLeo View Post
    When you call Chargers fans hypocrites for calling out Bonds while rooting for Merriman then turn around and defend Bonds....you're being biased.
    I gave shit to Merriman mainly because of all the crap Bonds has gotten from SD fans.

MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by GiantsFan83 View Post
    I gave shit to Merriman mainly because of all the crap Bonds has gotten from SD fans.
    So pretty much what you're saying is, any opinion you state while amidst a debate that's not directly related to the subject matter should be taken with a grain of salt? Because odds are it's really only stated to catch the ire of those you are debating with?

(like "Babe Ruth cheated, he used a corked bat" for instance)

MLB ERA

Just one man's opinion, just like mine and yours.

MLB ERA

So pretty much what you're saying is, any opinion you state while amidst a debate that's not directly related to the subject matter should be taken with a grain of salt? Because odds are it's really only stated to catch the ire of those you are debating with?

(like "Babe Ruth cheated, he used a corked bat" for instance)
    I have already said what I wanted to say on that matter, dont try to put words in my mouth.

MLB ERA

I have already said what I wanted to say on that matter, dont try to put words in my mouth.
    I wasn't putting words in anyone's mouth.

There's a question mark at the end of that post.

MLB ERA

Padre/Charger fans were giving me shit for defending Bonds when he didn't test positive for roids.

But when there own players got caught with a "Positive Steriod test" they get butt hurt because I'm giving Merriman shit.

Now who's being biased here?

MLB ERA

Padre/Charger fans were giving me shit for defending Bonds when he didn't test positive for roids.

But when there own players got caught with a "Positive Steriod test" they get butt hurt because I'm giving Merriman shit.

Now who's being biased here?
    I'm not being biased at all, I haven't uttered one word in regards to an opinion on Shawne Merriman in this thread.

I'm simply putting into question your obvious bias, is all.

I've maintained an opinion on Merriman.

His story is plausible, albeit not likely, and if he pops a 2nd time then I write him off.

In the meantime I don't, exactly, have a say in regards to whether or not he's on the team so I'm kinda forced to root for him even if I don't respect him. (assuming his unlikely story isn't true.)

MLB ERA

Fair enough.

I'm going to butt-in for a second and ask GiantsFan a question of my own.

Everyone seems to have already gone over their points on whether or not more muscle generates more power (its my opinion that any impartial and sane person with all of their chromosomes would be able to understand that)

And it's pretty much (though not officially) a given that Bonds did in fact knowingly take steroids

Whether or not you believe this yet, lets assume just for a moment, for forums-sake, that he did knowingly take his outrageous amounts of PED's.

My question is: In your opinion... why would Bonds, a player with a hall-of-fame reputation and a player who had it all, take steroids and HGH in the first place? If steroids dont make you hit the ball further...why would he even bother risking everything by taking substances that will taint his career and are also illegal?

If he didn't think they would help him hit more homeruns and extend his career, I really don't see any rational reason for him to start, and continue, taking an enormous amount of steroids and HGH.

He's a professional baseball player with boatloads of money...so the "he wanted to look big and sexy for the ladies" argument doesn't really have much merit

This nonsense drives me insane. I could understand if more Giants fans would just come out and say "Yes, I know Bonds took roids...and his records are probably tainted...but he is the man that took the Giants to a world series..and also was the centerpiece of the most exciting years I've ever seen as a Giants fan. I cant just sweep him, and the great memories I have of him under the rug."
    But the way you, and 99% of all other Giants fans have continued to say asenine things like "he never took steroids. theres no proof" and now "theres no proof that steroids make you better"...its just mind boggling how you continue to blindly ignore whats so blatantly obvious to the rest of the country.

MLB ERA

Why would any baseball player take steroids, for that matter?

We can eliminate the question of whether or not Bonds took steroids (for GF83's sake) and just point out that it's a well known fact that some baseball players have taken steroids.

Hell, let's focus on those we know took steroids by their own admission....Ken Caminiti and Jose Canseco.

If steroids are of no use to a baseball player, as GF83 claims, why would they risk their careers by taking them? (Only to wait till after they're done playing to admit to it)

Stoners are worthless padrefanforever's Avatar
    MLB ERA

November 15th 2007 will go down as one of the greatest days in the history of modern day baseball......... May the record books be restored to order quickly, let there be no "*" but instead let the name of the alltime greatest cheater be striken entirely from it as well.

Justice is being served and MLB should the man for good measure.
    Bring back the Chicken !!

Play Ball at Planet Padres

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

LOL You won't even remember the date in a month.

I think it was pretty classless to start a thread simply to start shit with Giantsfan. Giantsfan doesn't think HGH help you hit homeruns and I have to agree. Too many people have been caught or have said to have taken it to prove that fact. What it does is help recover so you can say it helped him recover in order to hit those homeruns. That's fine, I see the point. What are you guys going to say if he is found not guilty?

I am not going to close this classless thread but I will if shit gets out of hand.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast