Thread: A's fans, are they at it again?

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA

A's fans, are they at it again?

Throwing a beer at Giambi? Why? Because he took the money, roids, and left?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2060606
    People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use." -Soren Kierkegaard

AA ERA
    I understood the A's has had a rough night and a rough season so far, but geez. Giambi is not worth anything for a fan to throw something at. He is just so irrelevant in the sporting world for a fan to waste his time.

When with professional sports franchises start getting it that alcohol is the root of the problem that is going on between fans and players? There has been too many fan incidents in recent months with the Pacers and Pistons fans. There has been four incidents this year with teams and fans like Sheffield and this Red Sox fan, Holliday and this Dodgers fan, Twins relievers being harassed by the Orioles fans, and now this. When is enough is going to be enough? It's bad enough fans are paying $7.50 for a beer which is a rip off. Sometimes you gotta take steps even if you are going to lose money by not selling beer.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Wow kicking a man at his lowest. Real classy. As for not selling beer, go **** yourself. Beer and baseball is as American as Bush blowing something up. They just go together. Alcohol abuse is what that guy did last night to Giambi. Wasting a whole beer like that is just wrong. Look don't blame alcohol on htis. That is just a screen. I am an alcoholic myslef and have never got out of line like that since high school. This guy clearly had some other issues other than just being drunk. Selling beer at games makes a lot of money and employs a lot of people.

The Clubhouse Co-Mod HuskerFan2002's Avatar
    AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Wow kicking a man at his lowest. Real classy. As for not selling beer, go **** yourself. Beer and baseball is as American as Bush blowing something up. They just go together. Alcohol abuse is what that guy did last night to Giambi. Wasting a whole beer like that is just wrong. Look don't blame alcohol on htis. That is just a screen. I am an alcoholic myslef and have never got out of line like that since high school. This guy clearly had some other issues other than just being drunk. Selling beer at games makes a lot of money and employs a lot of people.
    Yeah, but don't you think the recent events that happened this year(The IND/DET brawl, the Gary Sheffield incident-fan intentionally throwing a beer at Sheffield) played a role just a little? Don't get me wrong here. I'm not trying to ease back tensions on beer consumptions but there are some fans that go out of line and abuse their privileges. The more times you'll see incidents like this, the likelihood of stadiums shutting down beer gardens, etc. for good will become a major factor.

Meh, if they didn't sell alcohol at baseball games, odds are I wouldn't have a job. That's how much money it brings in. Trust me, even at the AA games, hot dogs and beer are the most popular items (and on cold nights, add hot chocolate in).

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Beer and baseball is as American as Bush blowing something up. They just go together.

I'm going to use this in my sig.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If anyone really looks at the Sheff/Redsox fan incident, you can see that the man's albow was shoved and that's why the beer spilled out. I cannot believe he got in trouble for that when it was not his fault. Beer plays a part but not a big part. When I go to games I drink hours before the game and then drink at the game. Sometimes I will bring my flask. Either way I do it, I never get out of hand. If I am close enough I will yell something at the ump when he makes a bad call but that's it. I guess I had great parents who taught me how to act in public, regardless of intoxication.

AA ERA
    I thought baseball and Cracker Jacks go together.

I just don't think beer is that great period. It taste like crap. It's a waste of money. I taste beer and I am waiting to see what's appealing about it. If people are that thirsty, they should drink lemonade and ice. I am sure people will make a lot of money selling those. I go to some Newark Bears (independent league) games in NJ and the Bears seem to draw well without selling beer.

Gerry Fraley, the well-respected baseball writer for the Dallas Morning News, apparently agrees with me.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont....24e85012.html

You make some great points though.

ERA
    Call NASA
    There is nothing inherently wrong with beer or most any acceptable beverage. Each person has likes and dislikes, so to each their own.

BUT, to drink enough alcohol in public, to infringe and deteriorate ones physical and mental processes, thus causing disruptions and inconveniences to the people around you, is downright an embarrassment to oneself and would only be encouraged by fools.

AAA ERA
    When with professional sports franchises start getting it that alcohol is the root of the problem that is going on between fans and players?
    We don't agree often but I absolutely 100% agree w/ you. What is it about a sporting event that people have to act like they are at a bar and get plastered? A beer or 2 is fine but alot of people just go to get get drunk and it's dangerous. It's dangerous for the fans around them, it's dangerous for the players if they throw things and it's dangerous when they try to drive home BUT the teams, leagues, etc...market the games w/ getting drunk in mind. They make too much $ off of beer so they will never stop selling it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Coors Field, Busch Stadium, and the Milwaukee Brewers. Enough said about beer.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    beer is good.

idiots are not good.
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

2 questions I just have to know:

1) This dude seems to have good aim, how fast is his fastball?

and

2) Can Giambi sue the fan, his friends, his company and Oakland security for perjury due to battery, assault and negligence, as well as his having to see a psycharist and not being able to go out onto the field due to being apprehensive and scared of confrontations?

Yeah, beer won't be abolished for a while since it is such a big seller. I'd wager to say any group of males and most customers will buy two draft beers, often per customer, and that crap adds up. We can only sell 2 per customer per order and we can't sell to intoxicated customers, but it's easily the biggest money maker (nothing else is as consistant and as expensive). Not to mention the beer carts get more in tips then I get pay.