Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Enjoy it while you can

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'll tell you whatever the **** I want.

I would have signed with a tier team if I was going to leave Seattle in the first place. The money would be there in endorsements.

Not to make your argument.

When ARod signed with the Texas, what was their success rate?
    2000 71-91
    1999 95-67
    1998 88-74
    1997 77-85
    1996 90-72

I believe that he felt that 2000 was a fluke like 1997. They were division champs in '96, '98 and '99. He felt he could be that little extra that Texas would need to get over the top. Promises were made to put people around him. What pitching staff was there?

How did Texas contend? They were able to get some players after getting rid of some of his payroll but they did not make the playoffs...bottom line.

Of course he would have went to the RedSox. He wanted out of Texas. Win Players are not a monopoly of the Yankees. The RedSox did win it all much to my frustration.

Do not blame him for our collaspe last year. No one was hitting in games 4-7. He was as good as anyone in games 1-3 and a major reason we were up 3-0.

Quote Originally Posted by joek
    The YANKEES have had players in the past who where not WIN METHOD players and the team won the WS. Arod signed for money. If Arod wanted to live his life in Texas, and that is where he wanted to play, and no where else, he may have been a WIN METHOD player for Texas. However he ONLY signed for the money. I ask you RLA, would you rather sign for 25M and never reach the playoffs, or sign for 15M and win several rings. The answer is big time crucial to being WIN METHOD. Arod then destroyed Texas, who immediately contended when they dumped him. Arod would have gone to the bosux. No way is that WIN METHOD. I told Mr.S. that I felt the reason we did not win the pennant and then the WS last year, was because of Arod.

ERA
    Call NASA
    To be a WIN METHOD player, you have to want to sign with the YANKEES when the chance presents itself. Arod did not do that, twice. True, Texas did not make the playoffs last year, but they came closer than they ever did with Arod in the lineup. The YANKEES last year would have done the sme or better without Arod on the team. He adds nothing but individual stats to a team. I would still take Brosius over him in a heartbeat.

AA ERA
    With MLB falling prey to unbalanced schedule (when there was the 154 game, 8 team leagues, you played the othe 7 teams 22 times, 11 home and 11 away) it really doesn't matter who or when you beat the opposition. You just need to win enough games to get to the playoffs. That should be the goal for every teaam during the 162 game season. All teams will go thru ups and downs during the season. It is only over when you quit and give up and/or whine about the way things are going. The best, address their problems, correct them as best they can, don't whine, and in the end, WIN.
    Great point.

Give this guy a point rep.

No doubt that the Yankees would have won a lot even without ARod but I highly doubt they win the same amount of games. ARod's stats(yes stats) were extremely close to those of Sheffield's. The big difference was a slow start. ARod also offers a gold glove caliber 3B.

He can field, throw, hit for average and power, and steal a base or advance an extra base...what more do you want? I liked Brosius as well but how many years did he hit .220? A decent glove. He was good in the clutch but how did he help us get there? ARod will help us get there.

I am searching for game winning hit stats. I am a believer in the little extra that doesn't show up in the box score that separates the winners and losers but I also believe in a guy that gives 110% and is the best all around player in the game. It should say something when ARod was willing to go to 3B and not create a controversary.

To be a WIN METHOD player, you have to want to sign with the YANKEES when the chance presents itself. Arod did not do that, twice. True, Texas did not make the playoffs last year, but they came closer than they ever did with Arod in the lineup. The YANKEES last year would have done the sme or better without Arod on the team. He adds nothing but individual stats to a team. I would still take Brosius over him in a heartbeat.

ERA
    Call NASA
    As I have illustrated countless times, 'stats' are a very much moot item in determining a players ability as to winning. Defensively I cringe when a ball is hit to third base with Arod there. He is a sieve, and not nearly good defensively. The only way Arod was allowed to come to the YANKEES was that he had to go to 3b. He could never replace the best shortstop in baseball in Jeter. Your point about Brosius is at the heart of the WIN METHOD. First Arod (with all his stats) seldom wins games, Brosius (with 'as you imply' his lack of stats) won games. Brosius buries Arod defensively. We differ in our evaluation process and views to an extent. That is fair and fine, but my great players at the end of their careers where usually multiple champions. As far as I am concerned Arod did not make one iota of a difference in how many games the YANKEES won last year. If anything, he cost us games and the pennant by not being WIN METHOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer
    I'll tell you whatever the **** I want.

Well then Hammer, you can go **** yourself because to me your opinion means jack-shit.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I have been reading all of this crap you Yankee fans have been spewing out and it is good stuff. You guys are hilarious. I think it was Joek that said they have the best pitching in baseball. I rolled on the floor for a while on that one. I bet you guys are getting hardons over beating the Mariners and A's. Good stuff.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Whatever it takes to make the YANKEE haters happy. Have you lost your rock?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    I don't hate the Yanks. I am just a realist.

ERA
    Call NASA
    And when the YANKEES reach the playoffs, win the pennant, and win the WS, what will you 'realist' have to say?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    k, joek...you say to be a WIN METHOD player, a player has to want to play for the yanks...but how do you know that they really want to play for them, like Pavano most likely since he grew up in CT and his family like the yanks and so, or that a player doesn't just want to go there because the yanks can offer more money?

in other words how do you know for sure that it's desire to play for the yanks and not desire for more money? even if you interview them, they could say all the right things and fool you...sort of like how some people fool their psychologist/doctor by telling them what they want to hear.

ERA
    Call NASA
    Excellent question.
    1. They don't know why I am interviewing them. Some may get an idea as the process proceeds, particularly a FA. The college kids have no idea.
    2. Over the decades of talking with players, one becomes very skilled in the nuances of obtaining desired information.
    3. I never prejudge nor enter the interview with preconceived notions.
    4. When you sit down and talk with someone eye to eye, you can really get to know someone.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    As a realist, i will say they won the World Series. Pretty simple.

ERA
    Call NASA
    As a realist, you should subscribe to the WIN METHOD, since the WIN METHOD pronounces the players who win, as being the best. Winning and being the best is very realistic.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast