Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nkiel 1-4 in AA debut, another player in need of career advice

Ankiel 1-4 in AA debut, another player in need of career advice

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2049537

ST. LOUIS -- Rick Ankiel, the St. Louis Cardinals' pitcher turned outfield prospect, was activated by Double-A Springfield on Thursday after being sidelined by a back injury since the end of spring training.

Ankiel played a handful of games at extended spring training in the last week before the team cleared him for action. He was in the lineup for a home game Thursday night against Corpus Christi, going 1-for-4. In the fourth inning, he drove a Fernando Nieve curveball into center for a single but was stranded at third base.

Ankiel also struck out twice and grounded weakly to third base. Defensively, he caught a fly ball in the seventh.

"I swung at some bad pitches," Ankiel said. "It felt all right going out there."

Ankiel hopes that the media and fans will let him work on his game in Springfield.

If he wasn't in Springfield, Ankiel said, "you would probably be talking to the man who hit that walkoff" home run, referring to Tyler Minges, who came into the game in the eighth inning for Ankiel and homered in the ninth to win the game 2-1 for Springfield.

"Our manager will determine where to hit him and what he wants to do with him," Bruce Manno, director of player development, said before the game. "As long as he's healthy we're excited to get him in there."

The 25-year-old Ankiel, once one of the Cardinals' brightest prospects, decided to stop pitching in March on a day he had been scheduled to make a "B" game start, and devoted his efforts to making it back to the major leagues as an outfielder. He had been plagued by wildness and elbow surgery in 2003 before pitching for the Cardinals last September, his first appearance in the majors in more than three years.

Manno said the back injury likely was caused by Ankiel's position switch. He also was afflicted by blisters early in the conversion process.

"It was more muscular than anything," Manno said. "It flared up on him and we had to really back him off, and once he felt he could do some things and felt good, we started giving him more activity."

Ankiel was always considered a very good hitter for a pitcher, with a .207 career average and two homers, a double, a triple and nine RBI in 87 major league at-bats. After being demoted due to wildness in 2001 he impressed as a designated hitter for the Cardinals' rookie league team in Johnson City, Tenn., when he hit 10 home runs.

Ankiel signed a minor-league contract with the Cardinals earlier this month after clearing waivers. He has spent his entire career in the St. Louis organization after getting drafted in the second round out of high school in 1997.

His career was derailed in the 2000 playoffs when he threw nine wild pitches in four postseason innings.

I don't see this experiment lasting too long. I see him going to Japan if he was smart to try to catch on with someone there or the Mexican League.

Eventually, he will run out of options and join the construction crew with Rocker and William Perry. They can all discuss how they pissed away their opportunities.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Why don't you see this working? Have you ever seen Ankiel hit?

Yep. He won't make it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    so I guess that is a no? Thought so.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/player...ontext=batting

Gee, his stats make me think he is a sure fire can't miss. Any time a pitcher can get a hit...I love how people buy into that they can be a hitter if they wanted to be.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Still haven't answered my question

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Carrer MLB - .207 BA .258 OBP, .310 SLG .568 OPS

This season in Springfield- 1 for 20, 8 Ks, 1 TB, 1 BB, 0 R

Does that answer it?
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

I am in area that is dominated by Cubs, Whitesox and Cardinals baseball. My step-father is a big Cardinal fan.

Yes, I have seen him sparingly bat but he was a pitcher, he did not bat very much while in the majors. At least in relation to how many Cardinal games I watched.

Next of all, a good friend of mine was deployed to Iraq a while back and told me that some guys from the St. Louis area were claiming that Ankiel had more issues than pitching control. Substance abuse was the direct accusation. This is third hand at best but I was never impressed with him and do not think he will make it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well Ankiel's dad was arrested for trafficing drugs before he hit the big leagues so I wouldn't be shocked if that were the case. Porter, you did not answer my question at all but nice try. When I say Ankiel had a beautiful swing, I am not saying for a pitcher. He has a great swing for a hitter and if given the chance he can become an outfielder. Now do I think he will be an Allstar outfielder? No, not at all. I think he can be a valuable back up someday. This is Ankiel's first year at this so to give stats on this year doesn't mean much. I cn give you worse stats on guys in the majors right now. Ankielwill have to prove himself in the field first and then at the plate.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He has to prove himself at the plate before the field you dont go 1 for 20 in SPRINGFIELD.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    yes you do. He has to prove he can play the outfield in order to be an outfielder. I thought it was common sense but I guess not.

5/23/05

Rick Ankiel sent to A-ball after 1-20 in AA. I am sure that the 25 year old is on his way back to the Major Leagues.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Ankiel is finding his stroke in A ball. 4 homers in 11 games

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Not bad for a 25 year old in A ball

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast