Thread: Rocker may want to explore new career...

Rocker may want to explore new career...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2049534

CENTRAL ISLIP, N.Y. -- John Rocker once said retirement would beat playing for a New York team. Now, the metropolitan area he slammed so hard provides the setting for a comeback bid.

Rocker, who missed nearly two years after undergoing surgery for a torn rotator cuff, is back in baseball with the suburban Long Island Ducks of the independent Atlantic League.

His debut was awful. Rocker walked four batters in the ninth inning and lost 4-3 Thursday night to the Bridgeport Bluefish.

Rocker got his chance after Chris Latham hit a game-tying single in the top of the ninth. Rocker entered the game to some boos from the few fans who remained from an opening-night crowd of 4,061 at Bridgeport's Ballpark at Harbor Yard.

He retired two of the first three batters, but lost the strike zone. Rocker threw a wild pitch, and a passed ball was charged to catcher Joe DePastino. The game ended when Rocker walked Will Pennyfeather to bring in Corey Hart.

While pitching for the Atlanta Braves in 1999, the left-handed reliever made derogatory remarks in Sports lllustrated about gays, minorities and foreigners. Rocker later tried to explain himself by saying he was baiting New York fans.

Now they're his fans -- theoretically.

"Life's funny like that," Rocker said. "It makes it interesting, though."

Team owner and league CEO Frank Boulton believes Rocker deserves a chance for a comeback.

"You can't airbrush away his past, but I think he's a very courageous guy for wanting to come here, instead of someplace like Sioux City or something like that," Boulton said.

Rocker joins the Ducks in hopes of a return to the majors. That strategy worked for Carlos Baerga, Pedro Borbon Jr. and Bill Pulsipher, all of whom returned to the big leagues after stints with Long Island.

Rocker was once a top reliever. He saved 38 games, had a 2.49 ERA and struck out 104 batters in just 72 1/3 innings in 1999.

Then came his infamous interview in the offseason, when he attacked New York fans, especially those who rode the subway to Mets games at Shea Stadium.

Rocker has apologized for his remarks about New York, and hopes fans show him a forgiving nature.

"As far as the New York fans, I buried the hatchet a long time ago," he said Wednesday. "I hope they will return that favor to me."

The 30-year-old Rocker later pitched for Cleveland, Texas and Tampa Bay, appearing in two games for the Devil Rays in 2003. He had surgery in July of that year.

"Doctors said I would never pitch again," Rocker explained. "I happen to have a little bit more confidence than that. There were a lot of ups and downs while I was rehabbing, but I knew that I wanted to take one more shot and have no regrets."

Rocker hopes to be out of the Atlantic League and in a major league clubhouse by July. Boulton would love to see that.

"Of course, there's tremendous irony in this," he said. "Just my belief, but I guess he needs to get through all of this at one time so he can just move forward. That's why he chose to come here."

The game Thursday night was the first of six on the road for the Ducks. They have their home opener Wednesday night against Atlantic City.

AA ERA
    I am not suprised that he is stinking it up.

Fans are eventually going to drive him out of town if he keeps pitching like that.

I think that Rocker will definetly not last long, his mental toughness has a lot to be desired. He will quit becasue that is easy and he is a loser.

I see a construction hat in his future if he is lucky making just above minimum wage.

AA ERA
    Rocker is so edgy and everything. He lets everything get by him. That was not the case when he had that great year in 1999. It just seemed everything unraveled for him after that year and he has never been the same.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    ATLANTIC CITY, N.J. -- John Rocker, attempting a comeback with the minor league Long Island Ducks, had a testy exchange with a fan Tuesday as he walked off the field after another disappointing performance.

The 30-year-old lefty gave up two runs, two hits and two walks in one-third of an inning on the mound in Long Island's 2-1 loss to the Atlantic City Surf in the second game of a doubleheader
    http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/n...ory?id=2053030

Yeah that took long before the NYers starting getting to him.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    Rocker just does not get it. Did he really had to respond to those hecklers? I did not think the crack were that bad. Rocker should have just smiled and let it go. He claims that he learned a lot, but his actions speak otherwise. He shouldn't go stoop to their level. Every MLB player gets heckled. That's part of life. Is it fair? Definitely not, but that's just the way it is. Yankees fans gave Joe Nathan lot of crap in Game 2 of the ALDS, but Nathan handled the heckles like a true pro. Responding to taunts is a waste of time and energy. It also shows character on that person by responding.

I am pretty sure the Ducks management will have a chat with him and if he does it again, he is probably going to be gone. I bet he is gone after May.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    He might not make it to May 22nd. Thats my prediction

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

AA ERA
    http://www.nypost.com/sports/46041.htm

Here's another good article about him in Thursday's edition of the NY Post

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well he is pitching in the area that loves him SO MUCH (sacrasm)

AA ERA
    Rocker continues to be an embrassment to himself and to the L.I. Ducks. He simply can't shut up. He actually has the gall to say that he is being treated worse than Jackie Robinson and Hank Aaron was when they were the players. Is he kidding me? Rocker is dealing with words which he is well capable of shrugging it off while Hank and Jackie not only dealt with insults, but they dealt with death threats and stuff thrown at them.

I understand his frustration, but again he has to deal with the consequence of what he said years ago. Is it fair? No, it's not fair, but that's just the way it is. The only way he can stop with the fans attacks is by not responding or talking about it. Let the fans behave like idiots. From what I heard, those remarks are really nothing. Every player in spots gets heckled when they are on the road. That's the way it is and that's the way it will be. Rocker of all people should know that. He is not helping himself by saying how he is treated worse than Hank and Jackie Robinson.

If I am the owner of the L.I. Ducks, I thank him for his service and let him take his act elsewhere.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2054529