Thread: Mariners acquire former #1 pick

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mariners acquire former #1 pick

Mariners acquired outfielder Joe Borchard from the White Sox for LHP Matt Thornton.
    We suppose we'd take Borchard over Thornton, but better players than either will go on waivers later this spring. Borchard becomes the favorite to claim the last spot on Seattle's bench. He has the power to hit balls out of Safeco Field, but he'll strike out a third of the time and probably hit no better than .240. Mar. 20 - 1:29 pm et

Good move for the Mariners. Borchard has always been one of my favorites to reach his potential, and I'm confident if given 600 AB, he could hit .260 with 30 HR's in almost any ballpark.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I cant believe we got that much for Matt Thornton. That is a great move by Bavasi. I have the same thoughts as Wilt on this for i know we've both talked about his potential in several occasions. I think hes good enough to hold down that forever horrible LF hole weve had forever. He would be a top 10 or a fringe top 5 spect for us. Its simlar to Foppert but without the injuries.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)