• Locks up the job later in the season

0 0%
  • AAA for the whole season

2 40.00%

Thread: Notes: Rivera out to lock down backup job

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Notes: Rivera out to lock down backup job

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Hidden in the smoky haze of the Mariners' season-long, seven-catcher musical chairs game last year was the emergence of one very pleasant surprise.

Partially out of need and partially out of the desire to find out more about young players as the club fell out of contention in the American League West, the Mariners promoted catcher Rene Rivera from Double-A San Antonio in late May.

Rivera, then 21 years old, had been talked about as the team's catcher of the future, and he didn't look intimidated or out of place in the present.

"It was a great experience for me," said Rivera, who reappeared as a September callup and wound up hitting .396 (19-for-48) with one home run and six RBIs in 16 games.

"I got a taste of the big leagues and I saw what it was like. I learned a lot even though I wasn't up for that long."

The pitchers liked what they saw. Left-hander Jamie Moyer, for example, threw to Rivera a few times and said the kid caught like a veteran.

"He handled himself very well behind the plate for a young guy," Moyer said. "I thought he did a good job."

This year, Rivera has been penciled in by manager Mike Hargrove as the backup to starter Kenji Johjima, who came over from Japan and was signed to a three-year, $16.5 million deal to solidify the catching situation.

Hargrove said the team saw enough of Rivera as a receiver last year to give him the opportunity to develop and improve at the big-league level this season.

"It'll be good for him to be around Joh and [bench coach and former Major League catcher] Ron Hassey all year long," Hargrove said.

Rivera agreed, saying that he admires the way Johjima goes about his business. The two have become friendly, with Rivera teaching Johjima some Spanish as Johjima works on learning English.

"It's fun," Rivera said. "He's a great guy. He's always happy and never gets mad. It's a good feeling being around him."

Rivera also said it's a good feeling being around the Major League Spring Training camp, which is why he turned down an opportunity to try out for the World Baseball Classic team of his native Puerto Rico.

"It was more important to me to get ready for this season and make sure I make the team," Rivera said.

"They'll be fine without me."

Pineiro pitches: Joel Pineiro became the first Mariners starter to pitch a simulated game when he threw 35 pitches in two "innings" on Field 4.

Pineiro, who will leave camp the day after his March 3 start in a "B" game to join the Puerto Rico World Baseball Classic team, pitched to Wladimir Balentien, Matt Tuiasosopo, Shin-Soo Choo, Adam Jones and Jeff Clement and gave up what appeared to be two sharp singles to start off the session before getting apparent outs the rest of the way on grounders and a popup.

"I don't think they hit the ball that hard," Pineiro said. "And I asked hitters about the movement on the ball and they said it was good."

Hargrove said he thought it was a productive effort, too, but he also said he didn't want to read too much into it.

"Today he threw some nice breaking balls and a decent sinker, which could be better," Hargrove said. "For a first outing, it was fine. But to evaluate too much this early, you'll drive yourself nuts."

Pineiro said he was scaled back a bit from full-throttle pitching because he was working on his offspeed stuff, particularly a sinker with a new grip that pitching coach Rafael Chaves taught him.

But Pineiro said he feels healthy, marking a "complete turnaround -- 360" from last year, when he struggled with a sore shoulder all spring.

"I feel good," Pineiro said. "I feel like the arm is where it should be."

Infield angst: Hargrove gave his infielders a pointed dressing down Sunday morning when they botched several plays in an infield drill.

"It was a chance to get their attention," said Hargrove, who did so loudly and with emphasis.

And what was wrong, exactly?

"I think everyone forgot to set their alarm clocks this morning," Hargrove said. "The first throw was 10 feet over the top of [6-foot-8 first baseman] Richie Sexson's head. When you do that, you're really air-mailing it.

"It just seemed like a real passive drill."

Hargrove said he told them, "I'll give you this one," but that he expects a much crisper performance in the next infield drill, which is set for Monday morning.

Snelling hits: Outfielder Chris Snelling, who's recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, hit in the batting cage for the second straight day. Hargrove said he thought Snelling swung the bat well, although he added that Snelling is "not ready to play in the field anytime soon."

Hargrove said Snelling hasn't lost is his enthusiasm for the offensive part of the game.

"He does love to hit," Hargrove said. "He's not bashful."

Mariners log: Reliever J.J. Putz (lower back spasms) played catch on flat ground from 75 feet and reported no problems. He said he'd repeat that drill from 90 feet Monday morning. "It's definitely on the up and up," he said. ... Second baseman Fernando Vina had a tight quadriceps muscle but still participated in workouts, although he kept his conditioning to the exercise bike indoors. ... Rob Johnson sat out another day because of lower back spasms, but Hargrove said the team would "try tomorrow" with him. ... The Mariners announced that the team has agreed to terms on 2006 contracts with left-handed pitchers Travis Blackley, Luis Gonzalez and Jake Woods, right-hander Jesse Foppert, and outfielders Snelling, T.J. Bohn and Mike Morse. ... Hargrove said the team would try its first 27-out drill of the spring Wednesday morning. The drill re-enacts game situations and demands that the defense makes 27 straight outs, with any error or misplay setting it back to zero outs. "We're allowing 45 minutes for it," Hargrove said. ... Hargrove said Hassey and Triple-A manager Dave Brundage will skipper the two teams in Monday and Tuesday's intrasquad games, and he set up a competition. The manager of the team that scores the most total runs over the two days will be treated to dinner by the other manager. And who chooses the restaurant? Hargrove.

Doug Miller is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
    Nice to see Rivera is being given a chance to shine. And Pineiro is pitching again.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

I see them using Kenji for this season, maybe he'll get a late-season callup to get some garbage time, but I don't see them letting their big hitting signing backup a rookie.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kenji is set to start, Rene is set to backup for right now.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Rene has no future with the team other than a backup catcher, might as well let him have the job now.

MLB ERA
    I think Johjima - Revira for catching is pretty good.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.