Thread: 'Sky's the limit' for prospect Jones

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

'Sky's the limit' for prospect Jones

PEORIA, Ariz. -- Adam Jones reflects on one of his first games as a center fielder, shakes his head and laughs.

"I caught a ball and threw it into the stands, about 10 rows deep, on a line," Jones said. "It almost hit someone. It's a good thing not that many people really show up for those Fall League games."

Jones hasn't had much to worry about since then.

Since being taken as the Mariners' first-round selection in the 2003 First-Year Player Draft, Jones has cruised through the farm system, advancing to Class A short-season Everett later in '03, playing all of '04 with Class A Wisconsin and splitting the '05 season between Class A Inland Empire (Calif.) and Double-A San Antonio, where he batted a combined .296 with 15 home runs and 66 RBIs in 128 games.

Jones, who at 6-foot-2 and 180 pounds is one of the organization's best athletes, was slated to be a shortstop of the future until Yuniesky Betancourt came over from Cuba and seized that position at the big league level.

Once the Mariners saw how gifted Betancourt was in the field and how much potential he had at the plate, their plans for Jones changed in a hurry.

"We sat him down and told him that the best chance he had at playing in the Major Leagues the quickest was to switch to center field," said Dave Brundage, the Mariners' new Triple-A skipper who managed Jones in San Antonio last year.

"It wasn't just a compliment to Yuniesky. It was a compliment to Adam because the organization caters to the Major League club. We want to see a guy like Adam Jones in a Seattle Mariner uniform as soon as possible because we think very highly of him and we're trying to win a World Series."

Brundage said Jones didn't balk at the decision at all, and part of that might have had something to do with how the coach presented it to him.

"I put it in pretty simple terms," Brundage said. "I asked him, 'Do you want to make two grand in the Minors or start out with $360,000 in the big leagues?' Those are terms that are pretty easy to understand."

And Jones understood.

"I'll play any position to get to the big leagues," Jones said. "When an organization tells you that you can get to the Major Leagues quicker by doing something, you do it and you don't really ask questions."

The only questions Jones started asking were related to his new craft.

"It's deeper angles on balls, it's feeling comfortable running to a spot and catching the ball, and it gets easier every day," Jones said. "I'm going to think about defense mostly and not worry about hitting. I have a lot of work to do."

The Mariners are eager to watch him work.

spring training 2006
    News and features:
    • Mariners notes: Washburn fits right in
    • 'Sky's the limit' for prospect
    • Mariners' Johjima a positive presence
    • Mariners notes: Battle at second set to begin
    • Mariners' Meche ready for 'huge' season
    • Mariners notes: Guardado no fan of spring
    Spring Training info:
    • MLB.com coverage | Schedule | Ballpark | Tickets

Jones earned an invitation to big league camp for the second straight year and has a chance to make the Triple-A Tacoma club and work with Brundage again. If he makes that team and tears up the Pacific Coast League, who knows what might happen in September if the Mariners need a bat?

He says that's the attitude he's bringing into this camp.

"You always want to move up, no matter what level you're at," Jones said. "I just want to keep making that next step. One thing I'm definitely not going to do is act like I deserve anything. I don't deserve anything yet."

That's why Jones says he won't be upset if he starts the season back in Double-A.

"If they send me there, how can I complain?" Jones said. "I'm 20 years old."

And that's the fact the Mariners keep remembering and keep getting excited about.

"He's got the chance to end up being a real good center fielder," general manager Bill Bavasi said. "He needs work on balls over his head, but what new outfielder doesn't? He's got a plus arm, he's a bright kid and he's got a good approach."

Brundage didn't have a problem expanding on those observations.

"He can run, he can throw, he has great instincts, and he's still learning," Brundage said. "Offensively, we think he'll hit and hit with power. He still hasn't filled out yet, so he'll get stronger.

"The sky's the limit for this kid. That's how good of an athlete he is."
    Adam Jones has been highly regarded for a while now. Now he is finally getting the chance to be on the big club. He the best pure athlete we got right now and if he makes the team look out he could turn some heads.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jones certainly has the pop and range to play center. It should be intresting to see how Betancourt hits though. I'm not positive, but his bat may end up being a liability, despite his great glove, and they may have to turn him into a utility man.

Jones, however, could make a case for being the top spect in the organization(yes, even better than Clement).

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think his bat could be good enough to make due for now. He is seamless with glove and has a powerful arm. and hes a pretty good runner as well. Jones right now is a better athlete than Clement but for need id still stick with Clement.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Clement's lefty bat is going to allow him to rake in Safeco, plus stud catchers are hard to come by.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I definitely wouldnt mind having either in the lineup though.

AA ERA
    I also like Clement, he definately has all the potential to become a very solid catcher at the big league level.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

MLB ERA
    Jones is my adopt a prospect on another forum. I took him in early 2005, I'm surprised he has done this well since I took him.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.