Thread: Mariners Top Prospects

MLB ERA

Mariners Top Prospects

Figured this would be an interesting idea. I'll rank the top 20 guys, throw a link to their stats so we can keep up with their progress. I'm not going by rookie status or anything like that, the only young guy that I'm going to leave out is Reed since he is already an everyday guy.

1. Felix Hernandez, RHP
    2. Jeff Clement, C
    3. Jose Lopez, 2B
    4. Adam Jones, SS
    5. Matt Tuiasosopo, SS/OF
    6. Yorman Bazardo, RHP
    7. Shin-Soo Choo, OF
    8. Yuniesky Betancourt, SS
    9. Clint Nageotte, RHP
    10. Bobby Livingston, LHP
    11. Asdrubal Cabrera, SS
    12. Chris Snelling, OF
    13. Wladimir Balentien, OF
    14. Jesse Foppert, RHP
    15. Rene Rivera, C
    16. Travis Blackley, LHP
    17. Daniel Santin, C
    18. Thomas Oldham, RHP
    19. Casey Craig, OF
    20. Mike Morse, SS

Discuss/criticize/debate/rip to shreds/enjoy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Snelling is our 3rd best guy right now. Hes dominating Tacoma right now. He has no business being there. Even the Tacoma play by play man said this on Locked on Sports on Saturday.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    so this campillo fellow isn't even in your top 20? why'd they call him up then?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Campillo isnt really a prospect. I still dont know why he didnt make the team to begin with honestly.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    I didn't include Campillo because he was pretty much ML ready out of the Mexican league and he is like 26, but I'd probably stick him around number 9.

MLB ERA
    I think this would be a pretty good sticky Porter, I plan to add a few guys and change up the order every now and then.

But yeah, Clement was promoted to Wisconsin, that would be pretty sweet if he made it to Inland by the end of the year. And then next year have him start out in San Antonio and put Rivera in Tacoma.

I'm really starting to like Wladimir Balentien. What the kid has done in his time in the minors is pretty insane. In Peoria, the rookie league, he broke the league record for HR's. Last year, in Wisconsin, he hit .277 with 16 HR's and 52 RBI's. This year, he is mashing again hitting .271 with 19 HR's and 61 RBI's, and the 21 year old has deceptively good speed. The K-BB is a problem, but don't you think there is room in our outfield for a guy with 30 HR potential, despite his peak OBP probably never reaching .340? I say, deal Choo this offseason. With Snelling, Reed, Tui, Balentien, and probably a converted Jones in the outfield we have more than enough depth in the OF.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jamal Strong could probably go to. Forget the fact he tested positive, Hes still a very capabale ML player. I wished they went into detail why he tested positive.

This is stickied by the way. Fullerton your also a prospect buff, id like to get your insight on some of the players in the system.

MLB ERA
    Some updates: Jeff Clement is starting to adjust to the wood bats, he had a rough start in Wisconsin, but his OBP is climbing and he hit his first HR... Bazardo had an iffy second start... Adam Jones is tearing the cover off the ball still, he has got to be one of the most underrated prospects in baseball, I'd like to see him start off in Tacoma next year... Tui should get promoted to Inland soon... Livingston is getting roughed up in Tacoma... Still no Foppert sighting, he was supposed to make a start last Sunday?

Rookie ERA
    Where's Sherrill? I think Bet is at least in the top 10, but good job otherwise.
    http://marinersmania.com/images/allhailtheking.gif

“Poise? I don’t think we’re talking about poise here. I think we’re talking about a 97 mph fastball with a curveball from hell.”

- Ron Gardenhire on King Felix Hernandez

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Sherill is no longer a rookie, and hes 28.

MLB ERA
    Updated.

Moved Clement, Jones, Choo, Livingston, Balentein, and a few others up. All had great ends to their seasons. Especially Livingston, who finished off with a bang, striking out 14 (14!) in 7 innings. And this is from a guy who can't touch 90 on the gun. His curve is quickly working it's way into Barry Zito-esque.

MLB ERA
    I updated the list for probably the last time this season. I'll probably do another at the beginning of the season that won't include Felix, Jose, Yubet, Morse, etc.

No major changes, I bumped up Yuniesky a lot. Pushed down Snelling some due to injuries, even though I don't consider him really a prospect anymore. He's more of a top 20 OF in the majors if he's healthy guy at this point.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Snelling probably isnt a spect any more and Felix is just superhuman right now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Mariners Minor League report: Feb. 26

Hot topic: Yuniesky Betancourt, the Mariners' slick-fielding shortstop of the present and future, is so good with his glove that he's had a ripple effect throughout Seattle's Minor League system.

Top shortstop prospects Mike Morse and Adam Jones are no longer shortstops. Morse is expected to challenge for a big-league utility spot where he'll likely see as much time at third base, first base and left field as he does at short.

Jones, meanwhile, switched to center field during Arizona Fall League play and could end up patrolling that position in Triple-A Tacoma before the end of the season. And Asdrubal Cabrera and Oswaldo Navarro will take the majority of their ground balls from second base.

Mariners manager Mike Hargrove explained it pretty succinctly, saying, "People like Betancourt do change a lot of careers."

On the move: It isn't a stretch to speculate that big right-hander Emiliano Fruto could be in a Seattle Mariners uniform before the 2006 season is over. Fruto, who turns 22 in June, made huge strides last year in Double-A San Antonio, striking out 63 batters in 66 2/3 innings and posting a 2.57 ERA.

Several Mariners coaches have said that Fruto has electric stuff and just needs seasoning and work on his command. His fastball can hit 97 mph and the Baseball Prospectus rates his curveball and changeup as the best in the team's Minor League system. Fruto looked very good closing games for Lara of the Venezuelan winter leagues.

On the pine: Two Minor League catchers are on the mend at Mariners camp. Andy Dominique's hamstring is healing on the Minor League side of the complex, and Rob Johnson's lower back spasms improved Sunday to the point where Hargrove said he'd probably be back in the fold Monday.

spring training 2006

Names in the game: Former Mariners outfielder Henry Cotto, who will serve as a coach for San Antonio, is in camp as a Minor League instructor. Cotto is in his 11th season in the Seattle organization and spent 2003-2005 as a coach with Class A Inland Empire. Cotto played 10 big-league seasons and was with the Mariners from 1988 to 1993.

They're No. 1: Five of the Mariners' No. 1 draft picks are in camp. Last year's No. 1 selection, catcher Jeff Clement, will likely start the season at Class A or Double-A. Shortstop Matt Tuiasosopo, the team's first pick in 2004 (third round), finished last season at low Class A Wisconsin and has a shot at Double-A this year. Jones, the team's 2003 pick out of high school, will start in center at either Double-A or Triple-A. Reliever Matt Thornton (1998) is a likely addition to the Major League bullpen and Gil Meche (1996) is in the Mariners' starting rotation.

Class of '05: Clement has been turning heads with daily power displays in batting practice, confirming that he's a very exciting Major League hitting prospect.

What they're saying: "Clement can swing the bat. Give me an easy chair and a glass of tea, and I can watch him hit all day long." -- Hargrove
    This is the latest info on the spects that i have at the moment. It looks bright for right now.