Thread: M's to sign Carl "The Tooth" Everett?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Mariners M's to sign Carl "The Tooth" Everett?

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/baseba...38_mari09.html

While multiple sources insist Seattle is nearing a deal with Everett -- negotiations with the free-agent outfielder are likely to converge on a one-year deal worth about $4 million, with a possible mutual option for 2007 -- the Mariners left Dallas without the likes of Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson in queue, as they had one year ago.
    ummm...I don't really know what to say? An "eh, whatever" type move?

Jurassic Carl For The Win!!!!!!! Yeah!
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Well, this guy hopes it's not true:

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports...-4869952c.html

Dinosaurs a myth? Let’s hope Everett deal is, too

JOHN MCGRATH; THE NEWS TRIBUNE

Give Bill Bavasi this much: He’s trying.

The Seattle Mariners general manager could’ve returned from the winter meetings without acquiring, as he likes to put it, some “left-handed sock.” He could’ve stressed the need to exercise patience during an offseason distinguished by a free-agent pool more shallow than a “Biography” profile of Heather Locklear.

Instead, Bavasi appears close to signing Carl Everett, a well-traveled veteran – not to be confused with a veteran who has traveled well – known for going on the periodic hot streak that turns heads, wreaking havoc, engaging fans in spirited debates and making national headlines.

Oh, and every once in a while Everett actually hits a baseball, too.

Everett is famous for denying the existence of dinosaurs – Those bones archaeologists are always digging up? All fake! – and his belief that homosexuals will have some “splainin’ ” to do on judgment day. (As if judgment were a notion foreign to them.)

Personally? I don’t care that Everett believes dinosaurs are a myth, and I am no more inclined to consider his thoughts on gays than I am interested in hearing Harvey Fierstein opine on the drawbacks of the first-inning sacrifice bunt.

As for Everett’s reputation for causing trouble – and he’s got more baggage than the Rockettes on a road trip – well, let’s take ’em one at a time.

• That incident of turbulence he caused during a 1994 plane trip with his teammates at Class AAA Edmonton, after he learned a passenger had placed a briefcase on top of his jacket in the overhead compartment? Nothing more than a simple case of air rage. Edmonton, after all, ain’t exactly next door.

• That judge in New York ordering him to undergo counseling after allegations of child abuse? Not having studied the court documents, I can’t comment.

• That nutty game in Venezuela, where he went into the stands to chase down rowdy fans and was banished from the league? He’s not the first guy to regret spending the winter in Venezuela.

• Those two seasons of turmoil with the Boston Red Sox, where he had profane confrontations with teammates, club officials and sports writers? Where he was fined $97,000 for missing a bus trip and a practice in spring training? Where he carried on a feud with one manager and referred to his replacement as a drunk? He’s not the first guy to regret spending a summer or two in Boston.

• That 10-day suspension he served for head-butting home-plate umpire Ron Kulpa? Everett blamed it on the media, and who am I to doubt him?

• That incident when he grabbed himself, shall we say, in an inappropriate manner, and then spit in the direction of Mariners pitcher Jamie Moyer? Let’s face it, somebody needed to stand up to one of baseball’s most ruthless headhunters.

It’s time to turn the page on the history of “C. Everett Kook.” It’s time, in fact, for a whole new book – a book whose first chapter was completed last summer, when Everett replaced the ailing Frank Thomas as designated hitter and hit .251 with 23 homers and 87 RBI for the world champion Chicago White Sox. He appeared in 135 games, the most the injury-prone journeyman produced for a team in five years.

Which brings me to my misgivings about acquiring a free agent who’ll turn 35 midway through the 2006 season. Signing Everett is a bad idea not because his viewpoints make Jeff Nelson sound like Fred Rogers – “It’s proven that 99 percent of baseball fans don’t know what they’re watching,” Everett said last summer – but because his presence in the lineup figures to stifle the Mariners’ rebuilding process.

Bavasi has overseen the Mariners for two seasons, yet he still can’t fathom the fact they play in a ballpark built for defense and speed. Fly balls hit to right field don’t die as suddenly as fly balls hit to left and center, hence the urgency for “left-handed sock.” But boppers never will be as valuable in Seattle as fielders who can chase down outs, and hitters fast enough to turn singles into doubles and triples.

A lineup card featuring Everett as designated hitter means incumbent DH Raul Ibañez would move to left field. Not a good idea. Ibañez is a thorough pro who never has embarrassed himself, but on a team that ought to be predicated on speed and defense, he’s got no business wearing a glove.

Rather than signing a soon-to-be-35-year-old DH who forces Ibañez to play the outfield, why not consider the upside of somebody like T.J. Bohn? All he’s done since the Mariners made him the 1,200th selection of the 2002 draft is excel at every stage of the farm system. After Bohn was promoted from San Antonio to Tacoma last August, he hit .321 in 22 games, with four stolen bases. Center fielders don’t often get a chance to showcase their arms, but Bohn did. It’s a cannon.

Sure, the bigs would represent a drastic step up for a career minor leaguer who has played only 22 games in the Pacific Coast League. But he’s about to turn 26. He might be ready.

With Bohn in center, Jeremy Reed could move to left field, a better fit for his adequate-at-best arm. Granted, an outfield of Reed, Bohn and Ichiro Suzuki won’t pack any power, but the Mariners aren’t going to outslug anybody anyway. Why not embrace what you are instead of dwelling on all that you aren’t – and never will be?

Bavasi presumes he has to turn things around in a hurry; he can’t be blamed for trying to make a splash. But bringing in a DH in his mid-30s isn’t a splash. It’s a diversion with the potential to become a distraction.

Everett hasn’t even signed yet, but already I can cite one source of disagreement between the free-agent outfielder and the general manager.

Bavasi believes in dinosaurs.

MLB ERA
    I could make a case for probably about 15 guys I'd rather have, but this is better than nothing (or also better than giving a fat contract to Jacque Jones). If he is good enough to hit 3rd for the WS Champs then he can hit 6th for my team. I'm still hoping for someone better through a trade (Trot Nixon please), but I could settle for Carl and hope he doesn't pay a visit to an orphanage or anything.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Everett would be yet another aging outfielder to yet another aging roster. Hes serviceable but i dont want OLD people.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Not many young players are out there to sign though. Bringing in short term replacements until prospects are ready isn't a bad idea.

MLB ERA
    he was signed to a 1 year deal BTW

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    im just tired of seeing 35 yr old in the lineup for the past 5 seasons. its pretty old. heres a concept that was brought up by Locke the other day. KEEP THE MONEY, GET YOUNGER.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)