5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Start him!

5 100.00%
  • Deal him!

0 0%

Thread: Evaluate: Jeremy Reed

MLB ERA

Evaluate: Jeremy Reed

I figured this would be a cool idea, we can talk about the players who aren't set in stone as starters next year (ie: not Sexson, Beltre, Ichiro, Felix, etc.) and vote on if we want them starting next year. Reed seems like a good starting point.

Credentials:
    • Mariner's number 2 prospect entering the season (Felix Hernandez being number one obviously) according to BA.
    • Baseball's pre-season number 33 overall prospect according to BA.
    • Hit .327 with a .401 OBP% in his 3 minor league years.
    • Was the center piece of the Freddy Garcia deal, coming to Seattle with Miguel Olivo and Mike Morse.

The Numbers:
    .254/.324/.350; Had a red hot May, hitting .312 with a .373 OBP%, even slugged .473. Proceeded to go ice cold in June and July, but started to heat back up in August somewhat. Splits between home/away are nothing ground breaking, which is somewhat encouraging to know that he doesn't just struggle in Safeco.

Analysis:
    Defense: Was supposed to be suspect in center, and some hinted at a switch to left. He has thrived in center though, making many web gem worthy catches. While his arm is just average, his range is as good as any in the majors. Will have no problems continuing to play center in the majors, and while he will probably never win a Gold Glove because of his arm, he is just below the Gold Glove level overall.

Offense: Tore the cover off the ball in his call up last year, hitting above .400 and continued to have success in spring training. Was supposed to step in and provide .300/.360 kind of numbers out of the number 2 hole and even provide some base stealing abilities. While his base running is above average, he has only stole 7 bases in 17 attempts. I think his offense will really improve next year, but this year was a borderline disaster.

Reed is still considered an B+ type prospect by most and would carry a decent trade value, so here is the question: start him or deal him?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    not being a Mariners fan, I voted to start him mainly because he was the centerpiece in the Garcia deal...at this point I believe you'd get more from trading Garcia than for trading Reed...meaning I don't think you'd get equal value since whatever you get for Reed would basically be what you traded Garcia for...Olivo is gone and Morse isn't anything special, right?

MLB ERA
    No, Morse isn't anything special. The deal was pretty dependent on Olivo becoming a .275 BA and 20 HR catcher with ++ defense. That did not happen and Reed has failed to live up to his billing so far. But then again, Freddy was not going to come back to Seattle once his contract expired and it was by far the best deal on the table. I voted for Reed to start too, and I expect him to be hit around .300 next year, and if he doesn't he'll probably be moved to make room for Adam Jones.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Reed should start, I think he will get better when he gets more expierence under his belt. David Locke was very critical of this deal and mentioned that Morse seems to be the best of this deal. I say give the young kid a chance, its his 1st full season.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)