Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Felix's Home Debut

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I'm just curious as to why they called this kid up now...what's the reason? They're not in contention and he's only 19! All you've done is start his arbitration clock early. What harm would it do to let him mature more at AAA? The season's lost, do you really need to put your #1 prospect at risk, too? I have the same problem with the A's using Street from the start of the season...The guy just graduated college and we weren't expected to contend this year (and weren't until the last month or so)...I just don't get it...yes, they have the stuff, but what is the harm in letting them get some more professional experience?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99
    26th vs the White Sox at home
    Great! He'll probably blank the Sox hitters, but it'll still be fun to watch.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I'm just curious as to why they called this kid up now...what's the reason? They're not in contention and he's only 19! All you've done is start his arbitration clock early. What harm would it do to let him mature more at AAA? The season's lost, do you really need to put your #1 prospect at risk, too? I have the same problem with the A's using Street from the start of the season...The guy just graduated college and we weren't expected to contend this year (and weren't until the last month or so)...I just don't get it...yes, they have the stuff, but what is the harm in letting them get some more professional experience?
    Hes dominating the PCL right now, hes just wasting his time down there. He lead the league in ERA and Ks, he gave up about 10-15 hits less than innings pitched. Franklin is suspended. Sele is blowing things up in AAA for Texas. Campillo is on the DL. Meche and Piniero are both inconsistent as hell. They ARENT in contention, he would have made the roster this season but they held him back. Hes going to be in the Rotation in '06, why not call him up now.

His numbers in Tacoma before being called up:

19 G, 14 starts, 9-4, 2.25 ERA, 88 IP, 62 H, 22 ER, 3 HR, 100 Ks, 48 BBs.

Why does he need to stay in AAA when hes putting up those numbers.

Bonderman had a FULL SEASON at age 20. Whats the difference for Felix right now?
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    I dunno, I'm just not big on having teenage pitchers...just seems like there'd be an increased chance for injury because he's not even full developed.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    I dunno, I'm just not big on having teenage pitchers...just seems like there'd be an increased chance for injury because he's not even full developed.
    I normally dont either, but when your 16 and in AA, and then your basically just toying with AAA hitters. what do you do, you cant keep him there and with the hellacious rotation we have, who else are you going to use, Campillo got hurt. Major Reason hes up now and not in September. I look at Bonderman who was 20 (one year older than 19) and i dont see a problem with it. Hes been on a strict pitch count, we dont have Dusty Baker as our manager, i dont know why it should be an issue.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Calling Felix up is the right move for the M's. It's not like his job at AAA is sitting on the bench. If he's going log some innings on his arm, he might as well do it at the big league level, as long as the M's staff keeps him on a pitch count.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12