Thread: Sorry to rub it in, but I didn't remember this deal happening..

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Shocked Sorry to rub it in, but I didn't remember this deal happening..

Just reading something on the Indians, and came upon this

In June 2006, the Seattle Mariners were looking for some veteran talent and Indians GM Mark Shapiro was happy to provide it. Shapiro shipped Eduardo Perez to the Emerald City, and the platoon first basemen wound up hitting .195 with one homer for the Mariners before retiring. In exchange, the Indians received a minor league shortstop who was hitting .236/.323/.360.

Granted, that prospect wasn't hitting shit, so who's to know that he would become..

That shortstop was just 20 years old and already in Triple-A. Asdrubal Cabrera debuted with Cleveland the following year, and this season he emerged as perhaps the best-hitting shortstop in the American League and made his first All-Star team.

The Cleveland Indians built their franchise through trades. Can they succeed in MLB's AL Central division? - Grantland
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Sorry to rub it in, but I didn't remember this deal happening..

Mvp, mvp, mvp!

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Cabrera, Choo, and Santana — a third of the Indians' lineup — were all acquired for pocket lint, in deals so lopsided they would have been vetoed by your fantasy league commissioner.
    It's easy for a fantasy league manager to say he would never trade a hot catching prospect who's still probably two years away from the major leagues for a veteran third baseman in order to try to win now when the World Series isn't at stake in fantasy leagues.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Casey Blake was really going to be your WS ticket? Really? Good luck with that reasoning.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

I do recall Choo being a disappointing prospect for a while prior to him breaking out with the Indians. But I agree with you on Cabrera - a gem.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom_of_Zito View Post
    Casey Blake was really going to be your WS ticket? Really? Good luck with that reasoning.
    I'm not saying Blake was the ticket to the World Series, but the trade wouldn't have been necessary had Andy LaRoche, another top prospect with an excellent BB/K rate in the minor leagues (because those guys always succeed, right?), been the least bit reliable.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Choo flamed out with Seattle before being picked up some other team and blossomed.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)