Thread: Mariners midterm report

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mariners midterm report

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=sea

Club MVP: Guardado. The left-handed closer has been practically automatic saving games, in one stretch he retired 21 consecutive batters. Not bad for someone who had a small tear in his rotator cuff.

Call him 'Ace': Veteran left-hander Jamie Moyer struggled during a three-week period in May, but was solid in April and June and now is talking about pitching again in 2006 at age 43. The crafty lefty has reduced the number of home runs allowed in half. He surrendered 17 home runs in his first 18 starts last season, compared to 10 in his first 18 starts this season.

Greatest strength: The overall team defense has been solid, even with slick-fielding shortstop Pokey Reese missing the entire first half. Center fielder Jeremy Reed ranks among the league leaders in diving catches.

Biggest problem: Scoring runs continues to be a major issue with this team. It ranks last in the AL in runs scored and team batting average, near the bottom in home runs and runs scored.

Biggest surprise: Rookie shortstop Mike Morse gave the team a much-needed offensive boost after being promoted from Triple-A Tacoma. He's no Alex Rodriguez, but is better than most shortstops that have followed A-Rod.

Team needs: The offense was supposed to score a bundle of runs with the additions of free agents Adrian Beltre and Richie Sexson. If they come around in the second half of the season, problem solved.

Oh, doctor: Reese has missed the entire season (shoulder surgery) but could return shortly after the All-Star break.

Left-hander Bobby Madritsch went on the 15-day disabled list on April 7 with a strained shoulder and has remained there. He might be back for the final month of the season.

Catcher Dan Wilson tore the ACL in his left knee and is out for the season.
    Reese should be dealt as well. I dont care if its for a baseball. Morse deserves to stay on this team.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Agree with most of the stuff up there, I still go with Richie for MVP, but I just wanted to respond because I didn't realize my man was a Crown fan. Give me a Crown and coke over any other drink, gotta love that fine Canadian whisky.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Agreed. I needed a lot of Crown and Coke watching M's Games
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)