Thread: Robertson goes down, Pineda now in?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mariners Robertson goes down, Pineda now in?

Multiple sources tell Geoff Baker of the Seattle Times that the final spot in the starting rotation is Michael Pineda's to lose.
    Interesting. Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik wouldn't confirm this report, but told Baker that Pineda's service time won't impact his decision. "I don't think we're going to worry about service time,'' said Zduriencik. "No one's going to hold them back. If they're ready to play, we're going to let them play.'' Nate Robertson is no longer in the equation now that's expected to undergo elbow surgery, so left-hander Luke French is realistically the only one who could stand in Pineda's way. The 22-year-old right-hander has a 2.57 ERA and 5/3 K/BB ratio over seven innings of work this spring.
    The Mariners are not going anywhere this season so why not let Pineda get the #5 spot and start his MLB development now? Of course he needs to be managed properly and not allowed to go more than 170 IP or so since he pitched 140 last season. Shut him down completely in September if you have to but if he's ready, let the man pitch.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Robertson goes down, Pineda now in?

If he cant pitch more than 170 IP, then leave him in AAA. I get sick and tired of people being babied in the ML. If you feel you have to monitor him, leave him down. I felt the same way about Felix when they babied him WAY too much.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I'm not a fan of babying either but the M's are going to be out of it by September anyway so why not just sit him? Even Lincecum got shut down in September and I was grateful. Same with Jaime Garcia just to name a couple.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They might be out of it by May, but I still would rather him be up here without restrictions.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)