Thread: M's notebook: Ichiro says no to HR Derby try

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

M's notebook: Ichiro says no to HR Derby try

ANAHEIM, Calif. - For the fifth year, Ichiro's uncanny ability to hit the ball amazing distances in batting practice will not be showcased in the Home Run Derby on Monday at the All-Star Festival in Detroit.

"I only have six home runs," the Mariners outfielder said before last night's game. "The players that enter the Home Run Derby have the good numbers to go in. I told them, 'If I had 20 homers I would enter.' I don't."

Yet Ichiro's phenomenal daily power displays, usually on his last six or eight swings of batting practice, are so well known that Major League Baseball officials are believed to have asked him to take part.

Earlier this week, rather than his usual outright rejection of the homer event, he had said he might participate. As if to give an example, that night in Kansas City he hit a batting-practice pitch to the back wall of the right-field bullpen, at least 450 feet.

Asked if he had been asked, Ichiro did not answer directly. Instead, he said, "I respect the Home Run Derby. It is an event for players who hit home runs."
    You know if Pudge enters this event, He should...for gods sakes Hee Seop Choi is entered.......

Full Story
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This is going to be boring unless some real players join.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.