Thread: My Thoughts on Opening Day

MLB ERA

My Thoughts on Opening Day

I was lucky enough to catch the entire game, heres what I thought:

Positives:
    -Richie Sexson, Richie Sexson, Richie Sexson. What a great debut for our new 1B. His first pitch as a Mariner and he gave us a 3-0 lead and his shot to straigh away center was just as impressive in his next at bat. Also looked good defensively at first.
    -Ichiro. Nothing new. Just picking up where he left off last season. He was dangerous last year, but just imagine him now with Beltre and Sexson hitting behind him.
    -The pitching. Jamie Moyer looked great all day, despite, working from behind in the count for most of the day. If he keeps this up that would be awesome. The bullpen didn't budge, which was a big suprise.
    -Eddie Guardado. I thought he was supposed to have lost his stuff over the past few years? He looked excellent in his one inning of relief today, absolutely fanning the first two batters that he faced.
    -Miguel Olivo is a great defensive catcher.

Negatives:
    -Every hitter not named Ichiro, Beltre, or Sexson. Only 3 guys got hits? No one else even got on base. That has to change, Sexson won't bail us out every game.
    -Defense seemed shaky at times, Reed, Ich, and Beltre all looked good. But Valdez looked shaky, even Boone did.

Not a ton to complain about, great game by the M's. Just one game, there are 161 to go, but it was a nice start.

MLB ERA
    My Postgame thoughts:

After the 1st inning I thought, this is the 1st inning I dreamed of when we added Beltre and Sexson. Ichiro gets on, Beltre gets on, and Sexson delivers with a 3 run HR. It feels good to have a winning record again. First time since 2003. The question now is how long will it last? While we did win with 2 Sexson blasts, only 3 guys had our 5 hits, Ichiro, Beltre, and Sexson. I was disappointed with Reed (0-4), Olivio (0-3), and the rest of our lineup (0-3). If we are going to win 90+ games, Reed, Olivio, Boone, and Ibanez are also going to have to step it up, which I think the rookies will do since this is only the 1st day. Also very impressed with Moyer, amazed he was no-hit until the 3rd, and didn’t give up any earned runs in his 5.2 innings. The relief of Mateo, Villone, and Guardado was lights out, they gave up no hits over 3.1 innings. Overall a good game, I just want to see the rookies hit more.
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Problem you have to face Santana tonight.

Go Twins

MLB ERA
    Hey, we just got our first winning record since 2003, go easy on us!
    http://img176.imageshack.us/img176/3...irosig6vx8.jpg
    http://strike3forums.com/images/Mari...riners-sig.jpg
    Mariners Artwork | Request a Sig
    Circular logic aside, Mr Mims, you have yet to provide a single credible reason why you are, in fact, hot.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I thought Jamie Moyer pitched a great game for his 1st start. Richie Sexson ended my thoughts on is he healthy or not. Ichiro seems to pick up right where he left off last season. The offense can score in bunches, but can that pitching hold up.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)