Thread: M's Sign Chad Cordero

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Mariners M's Sign Chad Cordero

Mariners signed RHP Chad Cordero to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training.
    This makes a lot of sense for both sides. Cordero is a long shot to be an above average reliever this season, but if he does make it back from shoulder surgery, he should have a chance to contend for the closer's role in Seattle. He won't be a candidate to begin the season on the active roster.
    Haven't heard any reports from him working out for any team's so don;t know how he is doing velocity wise. This definitely doesn't hurt to sign him since they have signed other question marks. Aardsma, Walker and now Cordero.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: M's Sign Chad Cordero

I am really surprised no team offered him more than a minor league deal. Not that much more granted, but a pitching poor team you would think might risk an extra 100k or so and cross their fingers that he'd bounce back a little sooner. He's definitely a project though for the Mariners and the odds are against him, but it'll be a nice move if he comes back from the injury.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Cordero pitched 4 1/3 innings last year coming off shoulder surgery. I did find a report from late February saying he threw for scouts at 70-75 percent so no real use to give a guy like that guaranteed money.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I am well aware of Cordero's situation.

Some teams are used to having pitching, I have been a fan of a team who has had some of the worst rotations and pens of this decade so I look for potential bargains. Cordero signed to a minor league deal with his major league pay, if he reaches the team, being higher the league minimum is what I am talking about (maybe even an incentive or two.) I have not yet read about his deal including anything like that, as is often included with rehabbing players taking a MLC, so I am assuming it does not until I see it.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Right on. I just don't see why any team would add anything more for a pitcher who won;t be ready for the start of the season who was in decline before his surgery is all. Especially in this economic climate.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I didn't chime on this earlier but he was brought in to try and win the closer spot for the M's and as of right now its still undecided.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

What has the scouting report been on him this spring? Velocity and such?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

He's yet to pitch this spring and haven't heard too much on the M's front about his velocity and such.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Chad Cordero (shoulder) is expected to throw batting practice Saturday.
    Cordero is making slow, but steady, progress in his rehabilitation from July shoulder surgery. The Mariners are hopeful that he'll be able to help their bullpen sometime in late May. Seems reasonable.
    M's could use him setting up Morrow but there is no rush for Cordero to return.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

They have their setup man in Aardsma right now. And Kelley could grow into the role maybe. Cordero can take his time and will most likely help out the bridge from starters like Silva/Jakasbaukas to Kelley/Aardsma/Morrow.