Thread: Mets acquire Putz from Mariners

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Trade Mets acquire Putz from Mariners

Mets acquire Putz from Mariners - MLB - Yahoo! Sports

In addition to Putz, the Mets acquired 6-foot-6 right-handed reliever Sean Green and backup outfielder Jeremy Reed. The Indians picked up reliever Joe Smith from the Mets and infielder Luis Valbuena from the Mariners.

The Mariners got the biggest haul, acquiring outfielder Franklin Gutierrez from the Indians, outfielder Endy Chavez and swingman Aaron Heilman from the Mets in addition to four prospects – Jason Vargas, Mike Carp, Ezequiel Carrera and Maikel Cleto.

Carp was a key to the deal, a source said. A power-hitting first baseman from Long Beach, Calif., Carp was a ninth-round pick of the Mets in 2004 who batted .299 with 17 home runs in Double-A last season.
    Maybe they are getting the hint that this team is not going to win. Thats a huge haul from the Mets and Indians in this trade. But now we get to deal with the horribly inconsistent Heilman to the bullpen. Franklin Gutierrez should be a solid player and Chavez should play better defense than Ibanez in LF. But the offense is still below average at best.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Re: Mets acquire Putz from Mariners

Looks like the M's got three players that can play right away for the price of Putz.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I like the deal. But Ill hate to see Reed go. I think he will be a decent player where he ends up sticking with (Mets).

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA

Porter, give me some brief insight into Green and Reed. Also, anything you know about Putz's health would be nice to know. I'll give you some info on the Mets players later today when I get home from the airport.

MLB ERA

Sick trade for the Mets.

MLB ERA

Heilman could benefit from this change of scenery...but he was never going to improve in NY. Endy Chavez will be a solid defensive outfielder. Mike Carp is a 1B prospect who can hit, with above average power, but little defensive ability, maybe a future DH. Jason Vargas is complete crap, and Ezequiel Carrera is a speedy light hitting OF, and Cleto is a high reward prospect with a nice fastball.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Porter, give me some brief insight into Green and Reed. Also, anything you know about Putz's health would be nice to know. I'll give you some info on the Mets players later today when I get home from the airport.
    Sean Green is has average stuff but likes to work the corners a lot. He induces ground balls when hes on. Best at middle relief, average pitcher at best. Jeremy Reed can be a solid starter if he gets the at bats, he was the White Sox's former #1 prospect and was acquired in a huge trade that back fired on us (Garcia for Morse, Reed, Olivo). Solid defensively and can play LF, CF and RF. Should be a solid 4th OF on your squad.

MLB ERA

So, from what I gather, Green is a similar kinda pitcher to Joe Smith?

And Reed seems to be a younger version of Endy with slightly less speed.

Solid haul if you ask me.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    So, from what I gather, Green is a similar kinda pitcher to Joe Smith?

And Reed seems to be a younger version of Endy with slightly less speed.

Solid haul if you ask me.
    Hes a Ryan Franklin (the STL version not the SEA version) type pitcher.