Thread: Is it time to completely rebuild?

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Mariners Is it time to completely rebuild?

Being 11.5 games out, I think that the Mariners don't have much chance to catch up in the West. I would personally say that it would be much better to trade your vets and completely re-tool your system rather then looking at trading for the likes of Griffey Jr just to keep the fans coming. I think that there are some veterans that could bring some value to the table. Here is who I would trade:

1) Ichiro - send him to the Yankees, they could use him as a true leadoff hitter and let him play CF. Afterall, Johnny Damons arm sucks out there

2) Erik Bedard - The Yankees need pitching to keep up with the Red Sox rotation

3) Richie Sexon - Trade him to the Yankees, so they can have a lefty/righty platoon at 1b in which both hitters will struggle to hit over .200, but they sure do bring so pop to the batters box

4) Kenji Johjima - trade him to the Yankees as they need someone to fill in for Posada on the DL

5) Miguel Cairo - trade him to the Yankees....hey, he was a key contributor with them back in 2004....Convince them he can do it again.

Okay, now you realize I don't have all the answers, but what would you do to revamp the team?

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Re: Is it time to completely rebuild?

I don't think it's time just yet. They are not going to trade Ichiro no matter what the circumstances. He's their franchise player is pretty much the only reason that Seattle is still drawing fans. And I don't think they would want to throw away Bedard either. They gave up so much talent for that guy and it has just backfired on them, but I don't think they'll give up on him yet. And they just signed Johjima to that huge contract, so theoretically he's not going anywhere either. While rebuilding may be a good idea for the M's, I don't think that they can.

Closed
    AAA ERA

The Redsox would really enjoy having Ichiro in RF for often injured J.D. Drew. They could also use Erik Bedard in there rotation. The liklihood of any of this happening is slim to none.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bon Bon View Post
    The Redsox would really enjoy having Ichiro in RF for often injured J.D. Drew. They could also use Erik Bedard in there rotation. The liklihood of any of this happening is slim to none.
    Every team would like to have Ichiro patrolling their outfield. But like I said, he's their franchise player and will not be traded.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by bipster View Post
    Being 11.5 games out, I think that the Mariners don't have much chance to catch up in the West. I would personally say that it would be much better to trade your vets and completely re-tool your system rather then looking at trading for the likes of Griffey Jr just to keep the fans coming. I think that there are some veterans that could bring some value to the table. Here is who I would trade:

1) Ichiro - send him to the Yankees, they could use him as a true leadoff hitter and let him play CF. Afterall, Johnny Damons arm sucks out there

2) Erik Bedard - The Yankees need pitching to keep up with the Red Sox rotation

3) Richie Sexon - Trade him to the Yankees, so they can have a lefty/righty platoon at 1b in which both hitters will struggle to hit over .200, but they sure do bring so pop to the batters box

4) Kenji Johjima - trade him to the Yankees as they need someone to fill in for Posada on the DL

5) Miguel Cairo - trade him to the Yankees....hey, he was a key contributor with them back in 2004....Convince them he can do it again.

Okay, now you realize I don't have all the answers, but what would you do to revamp the team?
    Sorry to sound rude but is this a joke because I really don't know? Trade everyone to the Yankees? Wow! I don't even know where to start.

1. No. Ichiro signed a five year extension just last year and like hot-corner_girl says, he is the box office draw there.
    2. They just traded for him and he's not that expensive. Plus he is starting to pitch well so he is a keeper.
    3. Yankees don't him nor should they want him. M's will have to eat some dough on Sexson's contract to trade him.
    4. Johjima just signed a three year deal this year.
    5. Cairo can go but isn't really isn't killing the payroll.

There is still time to come back and their season is not over. Look at your favorite team the Yankees last year. They were out 11+ game of first and made the playoffs. If anyone is worth trading, Adrian Beltre is.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Actually Bedard and Ichiro are about as untradable as you can get. No one wants Sexson, not even the Rainers. and Joh is pretty much holding Clement back another 3 years. Dont get me started on Bavasi's lack of common sense.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Eh, Clement will be DH so he's not really being held back.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Clement shouldnt be the DH, he should be catching or its like making a SP pitch in the bullpen, oops we do that now with Morrow.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

I agree with you on that but Clement will be in the everyday lineup at some point. It will take one of those once in a lifetime trade offers to pry Clement away.

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Sorry to sound rue but is this a joke because I really don't know? Trade everyone to the Yankees? Wow! I don't even know where to start.

1. No. Ichiro signed a five year extension just last year and like hot-corner_girl says, he is the box office draw there.
    2. They just traded for him and he's not that expensive. Plus he is starting to pitch well so he is a keeper.
    3. Yankees don't him nor should they want him. M's will have to eat some dough on Sexson's contract to trade him.
    4. Johjima just signed a three year deal this year.
    5. Cairo can go but isn't really isn't killing the payroll.

There is still time to come back and their season is not over. Look at your favorite team the Yankees last year. They were out 11+ game of first and made the playoffs. If anyone is worth trading, Adrian Beltre is.
    Uh, yes trading everyone to the Yankees was a joke, and they are not even close to my favorite team. I was making the point of is it time for the team to rebuild completely or not.