Thread: Is Felix Hernandez the next...

Richmond, VA......finally a man with a home
    MLB ERA

Player Is Felix Hernandez the next...

Mark Prior or Kris Benson? He came up with so much promise, with hype of winning Cy Youngs and that his stuff was dominate. After his debut season (ERA of 2.67 and IP more than hits) he has been slightly above average statistically speaking. Do you think that he just had too much praise put on him, do you think he has legitimate Cy Young stuff, is he lacking between the ears, what is holding him back from getting over the hump?

14,558 Unread Posts browntown653's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Re: Is Felix Hernandez the next...

I hope not...but I think the Mariners just overused him too early in his career. I don't know if his stuff is as good as it once was.
    I did a lot of good things as a sim league GM.

Ah, give me something clever to say here.

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

I agree he has been a bit overused. Plus I think that the whole team situation is getting to him. McLaren and the rest of the management are under fire right now, and for a young guy who is projected as an ace, it can hurt them mentally. That being said, he's currently shutting out the Tigers in the 6th inning.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

If they overused Felix Hernandez then I must be the last to know. He was on a strict pitch count the 1st 2 years in the majors. He didnt get a CG until late last year. Hes made changes to his delivery to take less stress off the arm.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He looked damn good today. King Felix will be fine.

MLB ERA

While he did pitch good his last time out, Prior and Benson also had good games from time to time but ultimately haven't lived up to their original Cy Young stuff billing.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Yeah due to injuries.

MLB ERA

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, Kris Benson pitched two full years without injuries and compiled right at a 4.00 era. After said injuries he ballooned up to a high 4era. My point is, as he was coming into the league people were saying he had Cy Young type stuff and didn't/hasn't lived up to it.

To your point, I would agree with Mark Prior being derailed because of injuries.

My whole point of the thread was openly wondering if Felix could live up to what people thought of his stuff.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

He is and will. I have no idea of who said Benson was Cy Young material but you need to listen to different people.

MLB ERA

Felix will be fine. He just needs an offense to back him up. He hasn't met his high expectations, but from the little I see, his stuff is still VERY good. He should still be a capable ace or 2 starter for a long while...

painting the roses red. hot_corner_gurl's Avatar
    San Francisco (technically not, but close enough)
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ljshorty89 View Post
    Felix will be fine. He just needs an offense to back him up. He hasn't met his high expectations, but from the little I see, his stuff is still VERY good. He should still be a capable ace or 2 starter for a long while...
    There is no question that he will be fine. Atleast there shouldn't be any question...he's got nasty stuff and he's still young too. But like you said, he's saddled with a rather inept team (my apologies to all Seattle fans), and that puts a damper on his record. But he's still a fantastic pitcher either way.