Ex-Mariner says drugs were part of culture | TheNewsTribune.com | Tacoma, WA

Monahan said a conversation with Lou Piniella, in which the then-Mariners manager told him he needed to hit with more power, prompted him to begin using steroids late in the 1998 season.

“Don’t get me wrong: The onus is not on Lou Piniella. I made the decision,” Monahan told ESPN.com. “Lou didn’t come out and say, ‘Hey, go get yourself bigger.’ I was the one that took the message and said, ‘Well, I got to get bigger if I’m going to make this team.’ ”

Monahan didn’t identify users, but he said steroid use was widespread in the Seattle clubhouse. He said steroids and “greenies” were readily available from people surrounding the club.

Asked if Piniella had knowledge of drug use in the clubhouse, Monahan said, “I think he knew everything that was going on in his locker room.”

Monahan said amphetamine use was particularly widespread.

“I was in the locker room for two years with the Mariners, and I’ll be honest with you: The only person that I didn’t see take greenies was Dan Wilson,” Monahan said. “He was a big Christian guy, big moral guy. He just didn’t believe in the stuff.”
Now at first thought, I want to say that this couldn't be possible and who the hell is Monahan to say anything about the M's. Then you realize that the Mariners broke some serious records in the years he brings up in 97-99. But his downfall is the glaring note that he doesn't name anyone in his claim. Only Dan Wilson didn't do it, that was it.