Thread: Spring Training Notes: Misc.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Spring Training Notes: Misc.

The non-major articles, notes and such will go here. Feel free to post your thoughts and opinions here.

No Burroughs: Minor League infielder Sean Burroughs -- a non-roster invitee to camp -- didn't report on Tuesday as he's recovering from a fall while fishing last week in San Diego.

Burroughs, 26, separated his right shoulder in the fall and an MRI revealed a sprained AC joint in his shoulder. He will remain in San Diego for rehabilitation for the next 7-10 days before being reexamined.

Burroughs, the one-time Padres' prospect, figured to be a long shot to make the team as a reserve infielder.

Burroughs, a first-round pick of the Padres in 1998, was designated for assignment by the Devils Rays last June after hitting .190 in 21 at-bats.
    Source

Interesting I must have missed this through all the other signings. If he does make it to camp and make the team. It could be a low risk/semi high reward down the road.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Left-hander has had several hard-luck injuries in his career

The next step in that journey comes Thursday afternoon when he starts the Mariners' annual charity game against the Padres at Peoria Stadium. Ramirez is scheduled to pitch two innings.

"First of all, I'm excited to be healthy again," he said, "and I can't wait to get started."

If this, indeed, is the injury-free season Ramirez wants so badly, the Mariners could benefit greatly from the controversial trade that sent hard-throwing reliever Rafael Soriano to Atlanta last December.

"I'm a fan and I understand that fans have their opinion," he said. "It's no secret that I've been injured a lot and there is a fear of the unknown. They don't know what I can do.

"I think people will see that I'm not that bad."
    Source

He is a huge key to our rotation with Weaver this season. I hope he can stay healthy.

MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Weaver intrigued by gyroball

Source

After showing video allegedly of the gyroball last week to Barry Bonds – he said it was a crappy slider – I heard from Masa Niwa, the Japanese journalist, that Jeff Weaver wanted to see it.

So I lugged the laptop into the Seattle Mariners' locker room Wednesday, plopped it on a coffee table, hit play and let Weaver make his own determination.

"Look at his arm," Weaver said about one of the first pitchers, a high school kid taught the pitch by gyroball guru Kazushi Tezuka and filmed by his cohort and co-author, Japanese scientist Ryutaro Himeno. "That doesn't look natural."

The video was in slow motion and captured the pronation – or turning over of the wrist, creating the football-like spin unique to the gyro – of the pitcher's arm. I pointed out that Tezuka actually thought Weaver and his brother, Los Angeles Angels pitcher Jered, would be perfect candidates to throw the gyro because of their free-and-easy three-quarters deliveries.

Weaver stepped back to give himself room, went into his pitching motion, flung his arm and realized that it did pronate naturally.

"Let's see more," he said.

Weaver wondered whether the gyro, which moves like a fastball, might spin similarly to a slider and produce the same red dot batters see, making the two pitches indistinguishable. And that really piqued his interest.

He asked for Masa to bring him the training balls that Tezuka produces, and Masa said he would when they returned to Seattle. Perhaps in a bullpen session, Weaver said, he would try throwing a gyro, much like his experiments with grips on familiar pitches.
    I still don't know what this damn gyroball is supposed to do. I've tried YouTube to see what I could make out of it. Even in slow mo, I can't tell right away what its supposed to do breaking wise. Jeff Weaver could try it but I don't know if it will help or hurt him at all.

MLB ERA
    Jose Vidro didn't play in Monday's game because of the flu.
    He'll likely rejoin the starting lineup on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Raul Ibanez, who felt a crack in his right shoulder on Sunday, was a little sore Monday but said, "I'm OK. It was like a 'zinger.'"
    Ibanez was injured while checking his swing on a strikeout in Sunday's game.
    Source: RotoWorld
    "For someone who was never meant for this world, I must confess I'm suddenly having a hard time leaving it. Of course, they say every atom in our bodies was once part of a star. Maybe I'm not leaving... maybe I'm going home."

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Jose Lopez got his first action this spring after spraining his ankle in winter ball. The starting pitching is mowing people down to start. But its against AAAA hitting for the most part.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mariners.org
    Quick hits: The Mariners' projected starting rotation (Hernandez, Jarrod Washburn, Jeff Weaver, Miguel Batista and Horacio Ramirez) has been stingy with runs this spring, as they have allowed just a 2.49 ERA in 47 innings of work. ... Willie Bloomquist continued his hot camp, going 1-for-3 with two steals -- including a steal of home on a double steal -- and two runs scored. Bloomquist is batting .439 this spring. "We're really lucky to have him -- he does a little bit of everything," said Hargrove.
    Could it be possible that the M's might have an decent rotation this spring. I knew they were doing great but not 2.49 ERA great. Its been a great surprise.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bullpen TBD: Hargrove gave a vote of confidence to Brandon Morrow, the 22-year-old spring surprise fresh out of the University of California. Morrow has yet to yield a run 7 1/3 innings covering five appearances. He's given up two hits and two walks while striking out eight.

"His talent is so dynamic that no matter what you do with him, I don't know that you really set him back or hurt him," Hargrove said Saturday. "If he were to make the ballclub and pitch out of our bullpen that's not the worst thing. Here's a kid that threw in a major college program, and closed for that program, so he pitched in tough spots. He seems to be a fairly mature, self-possessed guy, especially for a young guy. If he continues to throw the way he's thrown, I know what my recommendation would be."
    Source: Mariners.org

Morrow has impressed a lot this spring and could make the team as a reliever.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    He is a huge key to our rotation with Weaver this season. I hope he can stay healthy.
    Unless the dude wins the Cy Young then I'll never forgive this organization.

Long live Raffy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Raffy was a really good reliever but Unless HoRam decides to stay healthy.

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Porter99 View Post
    Weaver intrigued by gyroball

Source

I still don't know what this damn gyroball is supposed to do. I've tried YouTube to see what I could make out of it. Even in slow mo, I can't tell right away what its supposed to do breaking wise. Jeff Weaver could try it but I don't know if it will help or hurt him at all.
    who knows...I'd think that if it were truly real, then it it would be out there. It wouldn't only be "used" by one guy. I mean c'mon...I'm sure other players on his teams throughout his career would have picked up on it and spread it out there or tried to make a buck on it...I think it's BS.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I personally don't by the gyroball BS at all. It's one of those urban myths.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I like the fact that Reed and Rivera will get playing time this year. I thought it would hurt the development a little if they stayed in Seattle. But Brandon Morrow being in the Pen I though doesn't help him at all.