At Class A Inland Empire, Tuiasosopo was rolling along with a .306 average and 34 RBIs in 59 games, but when promoted to Double-A San Antonio he was asked to tweak his batting style, theoretically a change for the better -- for more power, more consistency.

It didn't work.

"First couple weeks I was hitting .270, .280, but they wanted me to change some mechanics, nothing big," said Matt. "Then I started getting into my slump. It got real mechanical, from my stance to where my feet where, to where my hands were positioned.

"It started creeping into my head, and now it was a big mental problem," he said.

The result? A .185 mark over 62 games and a somewhat bewildered Tuiasosopo, who came to the plate with his head whirling with geometrical puzzles, his once-sound mechanics now a jumble of on-the-fly adjustments.
You get the feeling that it sounds like he had the Tiger Woods syndrome when he had his slump. He thought too much or tried to be too perfect and struggled. If its not broke DON'T FIX IT.

But it proved an eventual boon, a positive, as Tuiasosopo feels like his old self -- but a better self -- now, rejuvenated with a stronger, quicker bat, with more agility for infield work after months of training. And his swing is once again pure.

Mariners roving hitting instructor Alonzo Powell says Tuiasosopo never got down on himself despite the struggles, and realizes now that although slumps will happen, he can extricate himself from bad times.

"He had success the first two years then hit a wall, but he's gotten over it now," Powell said. "He had a half-year slump, but he's turning on balls and to me he's well on his way. He's got a very positive attitude and that showed a lot about his character. He didn't give up on himself."
I see that he's learned from his mistakes and has gotten back his talent. We really need him in that middle infield down the road. It also helps having a brother like Marques to get advice on as well. I hope he gets up there with Adam Jones talent wise again. This was a great story.

Source