Source

PEORIA, Ariz. -- This time, Jeff Clement didn't feel like a complete stranger when he walked into the Mariners' clubhouse in Peoria.

Clement, the 23-year-old catcher and former first-round draft pick in 2005, was among the pitchers and catchers who reported for their physicals at the Peoria Sports Complex on Wednesday.

"Last year, I hardly knew anyone because I had only been with the organization for the latter part of the year," he said. "Now, other than the newly signed ones, I know a lot of guys. There's a lot more familiar faces ... that makes you comfortable."
I think that Clement will be a good player once he gets used to getting contact with the ball. He's a better catcher than Ryan Christanson will ever be and he was supposed to be what Clement is now. His main focus should be to work on his defense and his contact.

Tip-top shape: Apparently, Felix Hernandez isn't the only player who took good care of his body in the offseason.

Hernandez, of course, made headlines last month in Seattle when he showed up weighing 20 pounds less than he did at the start of Spring Training a year ago.

In the short time that he's been in Peoria, manager Mike Hargrove has been impressed with the shape of many of his players. Several players have been working out for an extended period in Peoria.

"There's been a lot of them down here," Hargrove said. "Does that tell me anything? ... It tells me we have guys that want it. And that's something that I don't know you can teach. Guys are looking good, they really are. Everyone is typical of how Felix looked."
Maybe the twenty less pounds will help Felix have a more consistent delivery. He wasn't in the same shape that he was in the past. Let's just hope that will help his development towards being one of the best SPs in the ML.