Thread: Series Overview- Angels vs Mariners

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Mariners Series Overview- Angels vs Mariners

Overview- The Angels broke Johan Santana's 17 game win streak, but still managed to lose 2 for 3. The Mariners lost 2 nerve-wracking games to the A's. The M's can pull into the lead with a sweep. They begin a 21 game stretch that could make or break them early. The Angels in that same amount of games get 2 up and coming teams (DET and CLE), the Dodgers and White Sox. This series right now is pivotal for both teams.

Probable Starters (Todays is in the Game Thread)
    Tomorrow- John Lackey (2-1, 5.61) vs Gil Meche (2-1, 5.27)
    Lackey is coming off his 2 best starts of the season. The catch is hes yet to go longer than 5.2 IP in any start this season. Gil Meche is coming off by far his best start vs the Rangers. Gil allowed only 4 H and 1 ER in 7 innings pitched, earning his 2nd win of the season. This is a intriguing matchup of two guys that piss their respective fans off cause of their underachieving ways.

Wednesday- Paul Byrd (1-3, 5.29) vs Aaron Sele (2-2, 4.71)
    Paul Byrd has allowed at least 5 Runs in all but one of his starts this season. That start was against these M's (you just got to love these guys right). In that game the M's scattered 11 Hits off of Byrd. Aaron Sele has had 3 quality starts (3 ERs or less in 6 IP) out of 5 this season. This seems unusual but its more than Meche and Piniero so far this season.

Players to Watch-
    Julieo Mateo- Has a blistering .79 ERA and .71 WHIP so far this season. Single-handedly kept the M's in the game vs the A's in his last apperance. Could emerge as the other setup man for Eddie G.
    Vlad Guerrero- Leads the team in BA, HR, RBI, R, H, SLG, OPS. One of the early MVP candidates so far this season. How badly is he going to impale balls against Franklin, Sele and Meche?!?!?!

By the Numbers
    26 for 33 - The Angels in SB attempts this season (Figgins is 9 for 10)
    0- # of Walks by KRod on the season (12 IP)
    1.53- WHIP of today starter Jarrod Washburn (highest among the 6 SPs in this series)
    .447- OPS of the great Wilson Valdez on the season
    .420- OPS of the even greater Miguel Olivo
    .963- Bret Boones Fielding % this season (Gold Glover?!?!?)

Outlook- This series can go either way. Im going to say 2-1 Angels unless Meche turns it around in his start. Vlad will be a big reason why they win the 2 games. You heard it here first.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    They are going to get to Franklin tonight, I'm pretty sure about that, but Boone and Dan "I suck" Wilson have hit Washburn very well in the past. Ich only has a .273 BA against him though. Meche pitches pretty good against the Angels though and is coming off a great start the Rangers in Arlington, which shows you just how on he was. I predict the Angels take the game tonight, Meche wins in his start tomorrow, and the M's, thanks in part to our bullpen, wins the rubber game in a high scoring game.

MLB ERA
    Sweet, we got swept. I've never been so relieved for an off day, I need a day to cool off my mood towards the M's. I can't believe that I'm actually happy to see Franklin and Pineiro in the rotation in the next series.