Thread: Buyers at the Deadline?

Rookie
    Rookie ERA

Buyers at the Deadline?

If the Mariners keep up their hot streak, they will be buyers at the Deadline? But what to buy and who? I feel that our greatest need is starting pitching. Meche and Pineiro aren't working. Has anyone heard any rumors?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the Fourms, Crimson. Stick around for a while.

I think Meche is fine when he gets his consistency up a little more, hes still farily young. Joel is an enigma and im not sure what we could do with him.
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

Rookie
    Rookie ERA
    Maybe we should look into Russ Ortiz or maybe Livan Hernandez and Scott Elarton. Ortiz is a little iffy but Hernandez and Elarton both have experience in a playoff run so they would fit in well. I'm sure Elarton is dying to get out of KC too

MLB ERA
    I've been thinking about this for a while and I think it is time to sell when your players are at an all time high. If we can get a haul for Gil Meche then do it, don't think twice, but if not, we should re-sign him (unless he would qualify as a Class A FA, then I could deal with losing him).

Trading JJ Putz right now would be a brillant move IMO. He is a fantastic closer, but we could pull a trio of good prospects from a team like the Dodgers, who are in the race and need a closer (and also have a stacked farm). Even if we stay in the race, we should be fine with Soriano as the closer, plus we have enough power arms to put in the pen in Lowe, Fruto, and Cruceta.

I wouldn't mind dealing Ibanez either, but only for a great deal. Take whatever you can for Everett and Pineiro.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone want to get rid of Meche now that hes been basically our best pitcher right now?
    2003 Hybrid World Champion (115-47 reg season, 11-4 playoffs)

TBL: Anaheim Angels 2006-present (238-244 regular season, 1 division title)
    MSL: St Louis Cardinals 2013-present (2734-2936 regular season, 5 division titles, 2 championships)
    TSSL: Seattle Mariners 2006-2029, Pittsburgh Pirates 2030-present (209-277, 5 division titles w/SEA, 1 championship w/SEA)

MLB ERA
    Better than losing him to FA or if he demands insane money for an extension.