SEATTLE -- Matt Lawton had a great seat for the Mariners' game on Opening Day, but he was still miserable.

That's because the seat was not on the dugout, where he wanted to be. It was on the sofa in his Issaquah, Wash., home, about 20 miles east of the Monday festivities at Safeco Field.

This was by no means a surprising development. It is well known that Lawton will miss the first 10 days -- eight games -- of the season because of a 2005 suspension for violation of Major League Baseball's drug policy.

The 34-year-old said he used a steroid last year as a desperate measure to recover from shoulder and ankle injuries and help the Yankees in their playoff drive.

He said he made a huge mistake, apologized, and tested the free-agent market before Seattle came calling. The Mariners, who were looking for a bit of left-handed pop and outfield depth, said they were glad he was available. Lawton rewarded them with a nice spring, clouting eight doubles and playing well in the outfield.

But Lawton said Tuesday it was particularly difficult to work out with his teammates before Monday's game, get ready in the clubhouse, be introduced on the field and then be barred from the dugout or locker room for the rest of the night.

"I went home because I could get a better look at the pitchers on TV," Lawton said. "I'm going to be in there sooner or later, so it helps if I get myself prepared the best I can."

Lawton said the inevitable reality of the suspension finally hit home Monday after months of waiting for it.

"It was very difficult," Lawton said. "I knew it was coming, but it's still tough. I tried to deal with it the best I could, but the next seven games are going to be even tougher. I'll just try to be optimistic and have faith in my ability."

Lawton said he was touched by the fact that the Safeco Field crowd didn't boo him or acknowledge his mistake in a negative fashion.

"All I heard was cheers," Lawton said. "It was nice. Through the years of playing against the Mariners in this park, I definitely noticed that the fans here have always been very supportive.

"So to hear that reaction was great."

This is a refreshing story. But will Lawton produce like he has in the past. Also, can he stay healthy?

Source