Thread: Rueter Officially Retired

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Rueter Officially Retired

The lanky, good-natured pitcher nicknamed "Woody" bid baseball goodbye Monday, but Kirk Rueter will live forever in San Francisco athletic lore.

The 35-year-old left-hander admits he didn't have a flaming fastball or wicked curve, the game's electric "stuff" -- he laughed, "I always wanted to know what that stuff was" -- yet his legacy is one of fierce competitiveness, always giving the Giants a chance to win.

Rueter literally made his living on the edge ... the outside edge of the plate, the whims of umpires, finesse and craft, and always seemed to be walking a hittable tightrope.

Now he's back home in Nashville, Ill., for good, being a dad to kindergarten kid Hope and young daughter Halle Jade, enjoying more time with wife Karla and not missing the travel and hotels and a summer far away from his family.

There were feelers from some Major League teams as late as last week, but even then he was 99 percent sure he would retire. Now it's official.

"It was a great run for me, and I don't consider myself anything but a Giant," said Rueter of his 15-year big-league career, the final nine with San Francisco. He had a 2-7 mark and 5.95 ERA in 2005.

Despite some hurt feelings before being belatedly designated for assignment last August, the likeable pitcher holds no grudges, no regrets, only good memories.

Rueter thanked the Giants organization for treating his family as one of their own, and the team will honor him with a Kirk Rueter Day sometime this season at AT&T Park.

"I'll miss the fifth day, the day that I pitch, the big games in August and September," said Rueter of baseball action, "but the four days in between and road trips, I won't miss those at all."

Rueter had seven consecutive 10-win seasons for the Giants, was the club leader in victories for lefties during the 1990s (45-27) and sparkled in two World Series outings vs. the Angels in 2002, featuring a six-inning stint in Game 4 and four innings of one-hit relief work in Game 7.

With the Giants, he had a 105-80 record and 4.32 RA in 281 games. He ranks third in San Francisco for wins, third in starts, fifth for innings pitched and fifth with a .568 winning percentage.

He became the 21st pitcher in franchise history to win 100 contests for the club.

Rueter was tagged "Woody" for his resemblance to the big-eared cowboy character in "Toy Story" and was an animated man in the clubhouse, especially during March Madness while cheering for his beloved North Carolina Tar Heels.
    Woody was a great Giant and still believe to this day that if he would have started that Game 7 in 2002 that San Francisco would have had their first WS Championship. That is probably something that haunts Dusty Baker still to this day.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Woody was a great Giant and still believe to this day that if he would have started that Game 7 in 2002 that San Francisco would have had their first WS Championship. That is probably something that haunts Dusty Baker still to this day.
    Did you have to being up game 7?

I guess game six is the one that hurts even more!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Of course Game 6 hurt and I fault Dusty for bringing in Felix Rodriguez as he was brutally overworked in that series but the big blunder was starting Livan who showed no signs of wanting to be there when Rueter was pumped for every batter. Plus Livan led the league in losses. It was a good series and was the last competitiver series ever since.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    It's speculation whether Rueter would've won Game 7 if he started the game. Livan Hernandez got the start because he proved he could win big games when he was a Marlin. IMO, the Angels were lucky that Ramon Ortiz wasn't healthy enough to pitch Game 7 because John Lackey pitched the game of his life.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Of course its speculation but I gave my reasons why Livan shouldn't have started. Rueter was pitching ten times better than Livan and has heart. Rueter proved why he should have started that Game 7 with brilliant relief pitching. Livan didn't show up for the Series. Lackey had good Series.

AAA ERA

Giants

Although not the most talented player he truly gave it his all. If all players had his heart the game would be better off! I for one will miss him.