Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Training News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Spring Training News

It's finally here, 2006 Spring Training and the Giants are looking for their first title in San Fran...again.

Barry Bonds has started the retirement talk a little earlier than last year. He said this will be his last year but has since already stated that he no longer feels that way. How many more times are people gonna keep taking him so damn seriously?

Armando Benitez showed up early to camp having dropped 20 lbs before getting to Arizona and has since lost another 10 for a combined total of close to 30 lbs.

Ray Durham and Angel Chavez have shown up early to camp. Durham is showing up with the impression he will be leading off.

Vizquel, Winn and Feliz are all competing in the WBC.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Scott Munter's elbow is 100% coming into ST. Munter had surgery on that elbow Sept. 20th.

Jason Ellison has added 15 lbs of muscle over the offseason. Can't wait to hear the roid talk on Ellison.

Kevin Correia has back pains and has not been able to throw off the mound yet. Giants expect him to throw later this week. Corriea will probably be in the pen where he was effective.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Bonds has yet to report to Spring Training to take care of some personal business. He has been excused by the team and might show up as early as Wednesday.

Moises Alou and Jose Vizcaino missed the first day of ST but should be reporting today.

Alfredo Simon is having visa trouble in his native Domincan Republic.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Well it now looks like Randy Winn will be our Opening Day leadoff man instead of Ray Durham. Ray is already experiencing foot problems so Alou deciding to move Durham down in the order for the year. Durham hit better away from the leadoff spot and ended up with a .290 average.

Kevin Correia has starting throwing again. Correia was put on hold due to soreness in his back.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Well it now looks like Randy Winn will be our Opening Day leadoff man instead of Ray Durham. Ray is already experiencing foot problems so Alou deciding to move Durham down in the order for the year. Durham hit better away from the leadoff spot and ended up with a .290 average.

Kevin Correia has starting throwing again. Correia was put on hold due to soreness in his back.
    I don't think Alou's decision is all bad. As you say Durham hit better outside of the leadoff spot so maybe that will continue. I hope Winn is up to the task. We need to do a better job of getting men on base in front of Barry.

Speaking of Bonds, what would you think would be a reasonable expectation for his HR total this year?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Trying to predict Bonds' homerun total is about impossible. One reason why, no one pitches to him. He could have easily of had four season with 60+ homers if they had pitched to this guy. Amazingly, he was amongst the league leaders and he had 200 less at bats than the others. No one else can do that! Another reason why its hard, we don't know how many games he will actually play. Bonds has shown zero signs of slowing down at the plate. Here is Bonds' AB/HR average:
    2000-9.8
    2001-6.5 ****ing amzing!!!!
    2002-8.8
    2003-8.7
    2004-8.3
    2005-8.4 on one leg and hit homers in four straight games

I see Bonds hitting 30-35 homers but wouldn't be surprised to see more.

I was tinking more along the lines of 25-30 -- -how much he will play is still an unknown. But yes, you're absolutely right. Teams aren't very interested in pitching to him which is probably more frustrating to him than the fans.

I remember a game a couple of years ago against the Dodgers when they finally pitched to him with the bases empty. He hit the second pitch to San Diego.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    If Bonds plays in every game against the Pads, it will increase his chances

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Giants won their first ST game and Hennessey shined through giving up just one hit over three frames. Todd Linded went 4-4 and Jason Ellison went 2-2. Both are competing for the fifth OFer spot. Ellison has the experience from last year but Linden has raw power. It will be interesting to see who wins that one. Justin Knoedler went 2-2 with a homerun to help his case to make the roster as Matheny's backup. Randy Winn hit a leadoff homer and is now headed to play for the WBC.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Jason Schmidt had a great spring debut pitching three scoreless innings and giving up just one hit. actullay there are conflicting reports on how many innings and hits but I went with this one because it makes me feel better.

Lance Niekro went 3-4 with a three run homer against the Cubs. He ended up with five RBI on the day.

Matt Cain also had a good debut pitching two scoreless innings against the Brew Crew. He had no walks which is a good sign especially in his first start.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Matt Morris made his debut againts good ole Team USA. He threw two scoreless innings but got in trouble in the third giving up three runs. Jamey Wright helped his chances of becoming the fifth starter by giving a run in 2 1/3 innings. Kevin Correia did not fair so well against the Cubs today. He gave up four hits, all doubles, hit a batter, was called for a balk, and threw a wild pitch over 1 2/3 innings. Jeff Fassero and Jeremy Accardo looked sharp today as well.
    Steve Finley is having a great spring thus far and is showing he still has that great defense. Alou has his work cut out for him managing tis club and getting Finley enough PT.

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Jason Schmidt had a great spring debut pitching three scoreless innings and giving up just one hit. actullay there are conflicting reports on how many innings and hits but I went with this one because it makes me feel better.

Lance Niekro went 3-4 with a three run homer against the Cubs. He ended up with five RBI on the day.

Matt Cain also had a good debut pitching two scoreless innings against the Brew Crew. He had no walks which is a good sign especially in his first start.
    I'm really pulling for Schmidt to have a strong season. I like the guy!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Jason Ellison is really stroking the ball and has the edge so far to become the Giants fifth OFer. He had a double and single today.

Noah Lowry gave up just one run over three innings and had three strikeouts.
    Brad Hennessey gave up two runs over three innings.
    Benitez, Walker and Munter all pitched perfect innings.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Barry Bonds will DH in Tuesday's game against the Texas Rangers.
    Bonds was expected to DH on Saturday, but a rare rain in Arizona cancelled the game. Even with the left fielder's lack of at bats, manager Felipe Alou is confident that Bonds will be ready to play when the regular season begins on April 3.
    Bonds was 1-2 with a single and a strikeout in his first game of the spring. As long as he continues to take it slow, I don't care how many ABs he gets.

Hennessey continues to struggle this spring. He has allowed seven runs in 8 2/3 innings. Not exacty impressing anyone to get that fifth starter job.

Starting lineup?

Anybody care to guess at the Giants starting lineup on opening day?

I would but I have no clue!

There is a new guy here called "Bear". I'm betting he does have a clue!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast