Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Spring Training News

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    That's two outings in a row that Cain has been knocked around which is not what I wanted to see going into SF. Benitez's outing was just pathetic but he did miss some time with the knee. Neikro and Finley stay hot as does Winn.

AAA ERA
    love_that_reefer...I respect your point of view, but there is something to be said about every game counting in a shorter season. Second point, with an older team, a shorter season could mean less injury. Just another way of looking at the same game we all love!

PLAY BALL NOW!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Every game counts period!! Doesn't matter if its April or October especially in the NL West. I love baseball and would watch it all year round if I could. Just because WE have an older team doesn't mean we need to shorten the season. Injuries are going to happen regardless if it 120, 154 or 162 games. It was 154 for the longest time and they added just eight games due to expansion. The games being too long has been my complaint due to the new style of managing. Let's bring in six relievers to get six outs! Not exactly time saving. Alou is one of the wrost offenders of this. Let a guy come in and get outs like they are paid to, not just one out.

AAA ERA
    I love your PASSION!

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    Every game counts period!! Doesn't matter if its April or October especially in the NL West. I love baseball and would watch it all year round if I could. Just because WE have an older team doesn't mean we need to shorten the season. Injuries are going to happen regardless if it 120, 154 or 162 games.
    First, we are just talking about this but we all know there is no chance that the season would ever be shortened.

However, this is why the NFL is America's game these days. It's more exciting, there is anticipation for "this weekend's games", every game counts HUGE. The NFL has made football an all year around event. The season, the playoffs and Super Bowl and then free agency and then the draft. They even bridged the gap between the draft and training camps with the "June 1st cuts" which keeps the faithful riveted to the sport. It's unfortunately not like that any longer in baseball. ESPN televises two days of the NFL draft and fans are hypenotized at the announcement of every pick (at least on day 1). That is how you market and run a sport. Baseball has done a bad job making the sport appealing to the masses and especially the young kids IMO. (I know somebody will throw up some attendence stats but I think you get my drift).

I remember when I was a kid I used to eat, sleep and drink baseball. I used to know the batting averages of almost every NL player. I used to go to the ball park on the bus (by myself) many days during the summer to watch the Giants. True tickets were 90¢ in the bleachers, $2.50 for a reserved seat and $3.50 for a box seat but still...I loved it.

Kids these days don't grow up loving baseball or the game. Football has replaced baseball for the kids along with video games. Kinda sucks, huh? The players don't help with their disrespect of the game. Wearing their hats backwards and all that. That ****ing punk Griffey can take some blame for that. Any way, it's a sad state of affiars. I wish it was an easy thing to change but it's just not. MLB has lost momentum and wonder how they get it back at this point.

As usual, just my opinion.

AAA ERA
    Kid...Well said! I may have been the good looking kid on the other side of the bus. Anyway the game is still great but different. Lets just kick back and enjoy the 2006 Season! Go Giants!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bear
    Kid...Well said! I may have been the good looking kid on the other side of the bus. Anyway the game is still great but different. Lets just kick back and enjoy the 2006 Season! Go Giants!!

Let's get it on----GO GIANTS!!

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    The NFL blows dick IMO and the kids love it because they have absolutely no choice now. Its everywhere and I blame the media for that. ESPN has cut Baseball Tonight to a twenty minute show so we can find out what is happening in the NFL preseason. Who gives a flying ****? Its baseball season but yet they show team practices and waste baseball's time. You will never see Baseball Tonight on out of season. The Super Bowl will always generate more interest as it is just one game. The playoff system is a joke in the NFL as well. They play once a week so its not hard to market as baseball is everyday. Sure people lose interest but **** those guys. They aren't true baseball fans. You either love it or you don't.

The NFL blows dick IMO and the kids love it because they have absolutely no choice now. Its everywhere and I blame the media for that.
    That is the point. It's everywhere because that is what people want.

ESPN has cut Baseball Tonight to a twenty minute show so we can find out what is happening in the NFL preseason.
    I understand but it's done becuase that is what is generating the money.

Who gives a flying ****? Its baseball season but yet they show team practices and waste baseball's time. You will never see Baseball Tonight on out of season. The Super Bowl will always generate more interest as it is just one game. The playoff system is a joke in the NFL as well. They play once a week so its not hard to market as baseball is everyday. Sure people lose interest but **** those guys. They aren't true baseball fans. You either love it or you don't.
    I'll respectfully disagree with most of this. The NFL has marketed themselves to postion themselves as the sport of choice. The fans are the ones who vote with their entertainment dollar. Sure there are diehard baseball fans and it's OK...the game isn't as interesting to many (especially the young people) and ESPN hears it loud and clear. What would you do if you were them? They making money on the National Football League so you can't blame them for pimping the sport.

As always, just my opinion.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    WOW ... hahaha. That box score is just hilarious. Looks like they wanted Benitez to get his work in at any cost. LOL. The Giants pitching is just getting beat around in spring so far.

But hey, I shouldn't be too harsh, after all, it was against the Royals.

AAA ERA
    Yes Benitez sucks at the moment and their staff is having problems at the moment but its SPRING TRAINING! Who cares? I will be going crazy if they have these problems in a month, but not now.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Word is that Jamey Wright has landed the 5th spot in the rotation over Hennessey and that other loser. Looks like a good rotation on paper, but the spring has not been convincing...

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Word is that Jamey Wright has landed the 5th spot in the rotation over Hennessey and that other loser. Looks like a good rotation on paper, but the spring has not been convincing...
    If my I remember correctly didn't he play for the indians? Or am I confusing him with Jarred Wright?

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Yeah Jaret Wright played for the Indians and now plays (or at least tries to ) with the Yankees.

ESPN hears it loud and clear. What would you do if you were them? They making money on the National Football League so you can't blame them for pimping the sport.
    I can blame them when its out of season and it takes away from generating interest to baseball. Its hard to get interested in something when you hear very little about it. I doubt they are making money at 12:30am on weekdays to show NFL practices and to hear the same goodamn things over and over. How many predictions can you make before the season starts? All I want is my full 30 minute Baseball Tonight back with the occational hour long episode.

I can blame them when its out of season and it takes away from generating interest to baseball.
    But it (football) is what people turn on ESPN to hear about.

Unfortuantely, die hard baseball fans are in the minority these days. Sad but true.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast