Thread: Giants are making me nervous

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Giants are making me nervous

We are half way through the playoffs and the Giants have yet to pick up Jason Schmidt's option or sign Scott Eyre to a deal. The Giants cannot afford to let either pitcher go. Eyre was one of if not the best lefty reliever this year and pitches in on of the best parks in the country. Schmidt has been the ace of this staff since coming over from Pittsburgh in 2001. In his worst season since coming over, he still got 12 wins. He should have been picked up by now but I am starting to wonder if he is healthy. Why else would the ace not be picked up yet? I can't think of any. Picking up his option gives us Schmidt, Lowry and Cain penciled in for next year.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    You can add Winn's name to that list. Why haven't these options been picked up?

AA ERA
    That's interesting that they haven't done it yet. Hopefully they plan to pick them up and just are waiting for some odd reason.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Oakland Tribune: "Giants assistant general manager Ned Colletti informally met with Winn's agent, Craig Landis, before Game 2 of the World Series on Sunday night in Chicago and expressed interest in signing Winn to a multiyear extension. Landis said he expects to begin discussions in earnest within a few weeks
    This could be good news. It all depends on the dollar amount and how many years. I do want Winn to come back as he did a great job for the Giants.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Winn's alright. But is he worth $5 million? And Ray Durham for $7 million? What the heck are the Giants doing with picking up these options? The Giants suck, they need to reconfigure their roster.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer
    We are half way through the playoffs and the Giants have yet to pick up Jason Schmidt's option or sign Scott Eyre to a deal. The Giants cannot afford to let either pitcher go. Eyre was one of if not the best lefty reliever this year and pitches in on of the best parks in the country. Schmidt has been the ace of this staff since coming over from Pittsburgh in 2001. In his worst season since coming over, he still got 12 wins. He should have been picked up by now but I am starting to wonder if he is healthy. Why else would the ace not be picked up yet? I can't think of any. Picking up his option gives us Schmidt, Lowry and Cain penciled in for next year.
    The Giants picked up Schmidt's $10 million option. Schmidt wasn't leaving anyway. Totally sucks that then-LA GM Dan Evans didn't have the guts to go after Schmidt and went after Terry Mulholland from Pittsburgh instead.

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyKash
    Winn's alright. But is he worth $5 million? And Ray Durham for $7 million? What the heck are the Giants doing with picking up these options? The Giants suck, they need to reconfigure their roster.
    Durham's is a player option and he knows he will get no where near $7 mil on the market. Giants are stuck with him and plus he did well last year. If we can get Durham's numbers in 2006 with Bonds in the lineup, Latroy Hawkins and Moises Alou also had their player options picked up.

Winn might not be worth $5 mil but what other good CFer is out there that will be cheaper? Plus they traded Foppert and Torrealba to get him. Both were rarely seen